Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Great Find!!!

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:45 AM
mel
  • 29 Replies
2 moms liked this

I'm soo excited!!!

I found a never been used, brand new, still in original packaging Hygeia double electric for $40 on craigslist. After all that with Ellie i want to be prepared with a pump and stash if baby ends up lip/tongue tied. 

Since insurance won't cover one i've been trying to find a cheap used one. But then having to buy replacement pieces kept making them still more expensive then i could afford right now. 

Such a huge blessing! And I got the money from my birthday, thanks mom and dad, so while i have no bday money left i can afford a pump!!!! 

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:49 AM
Wonderful--a Hygeia, no less! :-)
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Awesome! Is it a Q? I see a lot of people getting them from their insurance companies for free with their only intention being to sell them. I'm wondering if this is going to negatively effect those of us who really need them from our insurance companies? It's only a matter of time before they find out this is being done. I have no idea what the legality issues would be, if any.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:25 AM

And my understanding is that selling what you get from insurance is absolutely illegal.  I don't know this for a fact but in the special needs community it is talked about pretty often.  Many of us have equipment that we don't need and we either give it away or sell it for what we paid out of pocket.  The talk is that selling anything we got from insurance for more than we paid for it is illegal.  Honestly don't know the truth behind it because I pretty much give everything away we don't need (gave away a seating system that was a couple thousand or more...gave it away when we didn't need it anymore).  But as this practice increases with the breastpumps I think we are going to see something come of it...

Quoting stepconfused182:

Awesome! Is it a Q? I see a lot of people getting them from their insurance companies for free with their only intention being to sell them. I'm wondering if this is going to negatively effect those of us who really need them from our insurance companies? It's only a matter of time before they find out this is being done. I have no idea what the legality issues would be, if any.

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:30 AM

It's very likely what it is. And i understand the legal/illegal aspect of it.

But for me personally i am grateful that i can get one. If this one has a lip/tongue tie we will not be able to have it cut so i won't have a choice but to supplement. Seeing as all three of mine have had ties it's highly likely this one will as well. 

But if i wait until baby goes FTT i can get a hospital grade pump but then i may be working up hill to try to rebuild a diminished supply.

Theres really no win. 

Quoting IrishIz:

And my understanding is that selling what you get from insurance is absolutely illegal.  I don't know this for a fact but in the special needs community it is talked about pretty often.  Many of us have equipment that we don't need and we either give it away or sell it for what we paid out of pocket.  The talk is that selling anything we got from insurance for more than we paid for it is illegal.  Honestly don't know the truth behind it because I pretty much give everything away we don't need (gave away a seating system that was a couple thousand or more...gave it away when we didn't need it anymore).  But as this practice increases with the breastpumps I think we are going to see something come of it...

Quoting stepconfused182:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

I don't think anyone is suggesting you shouldn't buy it...just the idea of why it is probably being offered so cheap and what may happen down the road with these practices.  The reality is...we aren't going to be able to stop people from buying the ones that are being sold improperly/illegally.  It would be great to take the higher moral ground...but at the risk of your child's health it is kind of hard to suggest that.  Just kind of putting it out there that this practice may in time hurt the current pump process (though the whole thing needs and overhaul anyway).  The real issue are those getting the pumps just to sell them.

Quoting melindabelcher:

It's very likely what it is. And i understand the legal/illegal aspect of it.

But for me personally i am grateful that i can get one. If this one has a lip/tongue tie we will not be able to have it cut so i won't have a choice but to supplement. Seeing as all three of mine have had ties it's highly likely this one will as well. 

But if i wait until baby goes FTT i can get a hospital grade pump but then i may be working up hill to try to rebuild a diminished supply.

Theres really no win. 

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting stepconfused182:

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM

And if there is a tongue tie how come you can't have to taken care of?  It is worth taking care of because these can actually cause issues later in life...it isn't just about breastfeeding.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

That's my understanding as well. Same with selling WIC items- it's going to cause problems for those who really need it. The rules are going to get more strict once awareness is raised and it will become harder and harder for honest people to receive much needed items.

Quoting IrishIz:

Quoting stepconfused182:

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Because no one in this area will do it who takes my insurance. We paid out of pocket with Ellie when we were in the shelter and depleted our entire savings. We don't have that savings this time and are pay check to pay check there is no way we can have an extra $1000+ 

I 100% know it can cause long term issues. Leilani is almost 5 and has tooth decay on her front teeth from it. Once again nothing i can do. The guy we paid cash for only did Ellies lip not her tongue so at 2.5 she still chokes on foods and gags and mashes the food between her tongue and roof of mouth, uses her hand to clear things some times. etc

Quoting IrishIz:

And if there is a tongue tie how come you can't have to taken care of?  It is worth taking care of because these can actually cause issues later in life...it isn't just about breastfeeding.

IrishIz
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 9:46 AM

You were charged $1000?  For just an upper tie?  Where do you live?  We had an upper tie done a few years ago and the doctor charge was half that.  And that was me paying a premium to have the doctor go to the hospital to do it (age and other medical issues).

Have you considered travelling a little further out?  Also, have you contacted people recently to see if anyone changed policies?  The number of providers taking care of ties is increasing.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Because no one in this area will do it who takes my insurance. We paid out of pocket with Ellie when we were in the shelter and depleted our entire savings. We don't have that savings this time and are pay check to pay check there is no way we can have an extra $1000+ 

I 100% know it can cause long term issues. Leilani is almost 5 and has tooth decay on her front teeth from it. Once again nothing i can do. The guy we paid cash for only did Ellies lip not her tongue so at 2.5 she still chokes on foods and gags and mashes the food between her tongue and roof of mouth, uses her hand to clear things some times. etc

Quoting IrishIz:

melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 22, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

We paid just over $500 that was with a discount. My friend who had her daughter done there within the last 6-9mo had to pay over $1000 since his prices have since gone up. 

1.5yrs ago when Ellies was done we saw three maybe four providers, while she was FTT and he was the only one who would do it. Everyone else who took my insurance wouldn't do it without putting her under and she was to risky to put under and the ties weren't that bad. 

He was supposibly getting insurance approval in the next few weeks. But i heard that he just spoke at a conference and mentioned that he's still working on getting approval from insurance to do it. 

I haven't called him lately but i should. 

ETA! I just called his office and he just got the approval recently for state insurance only for the lip and tongue tie! Sooo i may be able to get baby evaluated after all :)

Quoting IrishIz:

You were charged $1000?  For just an upper tie?  Where do you live?  We had an upper tie done a few years ago and the doctor charge was half that.  And that was me paying a premium to have the doctor go to the hospital to do it (age and other medical issues).

Have you considered travelling a little further out?  Also, have you contacted people recently to see if anyone changed policies?  The number of providers taking care of ties is increasing.

Quoting melindabelcher:

Quoting IrishIz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)