Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Solids before milk??

Posted by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM
  • 17 Replies

DS is one now, Aug 1.  Still not interested at ALL in regular food.  I'm just fine nursing him, however, DH and BFF say if I keep nursing him first then offering solids next he will never want the food.  Sooooooo, was wondering should I try to feed him the solids FIRST before each nursing session?  I feed him about every 2-4 hours during the day and at night he wakes up to nurse several times.  

by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:47 PM
I still nurse on demand for my 17 month old. Sometimes she eats solids before nursing and sometimes she nurses first.
graycalico
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 4:56 PM
He'll be interested when he's interested. I would just offer him table food whenever you're sitting down to eat and nurse him when he wants to nurse.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Its up to you honestly but what they are saying isnt true.  I nurse my guy before every offering of solids and he is still a HUGE pig and eats huge servings.  If baby needs it he will eat it

greenlove2013
by Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:44 PM
Honestly he should be eating more food now
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:45 PM
He doesn't understand that he is a year old and should want solids first. Mine didn't get hugely into solids until 15-18 months. I would do as the other posters have said: nurse on demand and offer solids to him when you all sit down to eat.
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 22, 2014 at 5:50 PM
Mine were all closer to 2 when they got interested in solids. I offered them and if they ate them fine and if not fine. Sometimes they got solids before and sometimes after they nursed once they were a year old. It made no difference.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:27 PM
2 moms liked this
He'll NEVER want food if you nurse first?!? Never as in *never*?!? Most of us on this board will tell you before a year, nurse before solids. Their primary source of nutrition in the first year is from breastmilk (or formula). Solids are complimentary, after the nutrition. And most of us on this board will tell you that our kids DO in fact wean to complete solids. Not one of us is here still nursing a 14 year old high school freshman. ;-)

Edited to add, I see he just turned one. Still same deal. I challenge someone to tell me what solid food out there packs the same nutritional punch as breastmilk. Especially for a picky toddler. It's completely commonplace to hear about these older babies and toddlers who eat a half a banana and one teething biscuit each and every day and I guarantee you the baby that is still breastfeeding doesn't have the same nutritional gaps as the one who isn't. I promise that baby will transition to solids.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 22, 2014 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

according to who? there is no set amounts especially if still BFing

Quoting greenlove2013: Honestly he should be eating more food now

Analugojana
by on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah I've been told the same by a pedi. If she doesn't eat solids well until 2 there's I don't know what magic Window that closes and she will never be able to eat. I asked her if she has ever encountered such a case. She said she had a severely handicapped child who ended up needing to be tube fed. I said seriously? You're going to compare that special case and draw some weird conclusion about a healthy baby? my baby is now 22 months old and eats normally. At one she was barely taking some micro bites.
melindabelcher
by mel on Aug. 22, 2014 at 7:31 PM
My bf babies didn't really eat much until around 18mo.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN