Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

thrush

Posted by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:42 AM
  • 8 Replies

i believe me and my baby both have thrush. my nipples are hurting me but it doesnt seem to bother him. is there anything i can due until i get him to the doctor monday? i also dont know when i'll be able to go. will it be ok if i pump and feed him or any home remedies i can try?

by on Aug. 23, 2014 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:08 AM
Go to kellymom.com and read the thrush treatments there. A fee days ago I started to suspect my dd and I were getting thrush and I started putting coconut oil on my nipples and think we have driven it off. I've also used gentian violet in the past with great and quick success.

The doctor will give you nystatin for the baby, which is an antifungal in a sugar suspension. Yeast thrives on sugar so you'll basically be feeding the yeast. Many strains of yeast are resistant to the antifungal ingredient as well. Your best bet is kellymom.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 23, 2014 at 7:14 AM
And pumping and bottle feeding can cause it's own problems. The yeast will still be in the milk.plus you'll have to through the hassle of disinfecting the pump and bottle parts to kill the yeast. And you might accidentally start nipple confusion or bottle preference problems. You can keep breastfeeding through thrush but you both need to be treated for it. Kellymom really is your best resource for treatment options.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 23, 2014 at 8:57 AM
Is nipple pain the only reason you suspect thrush? How old is your baby?
djsmommy13
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM

he has white like areas on his lips and some inside his mouth and they look like the pictures i have seen of it

Quoting stepconfused182: Is nipple pain the only reason you suspect thrush? How old is your baby?

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 23, 2014 at 1:34 PM
When my dd yawned I could see white on the roof of her mouth and my nipples were starting to burn and look shiny pink. I swear 2 days of coconut oil helped.

Quoting djsmommy13:

he has white like areas on his lips and some inside his mouth and they look like the pictures i have seen of it

Quoting stepconfused182: Is nipple pain the only reason you suspect thrush? How old is your baby?

djsmommy13
by Member on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM

i'll have to try. thanks. can i get that just about anywhere? and can the baby nurse with it on me?

Quoting mostlymaydays: When my dd yawned I could see white on the roof of her mouth and my nipples were starting to burn and look shiny pink. I swear 2 days of coconut oil helped.
Quoting djsmommy13:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 23, 2014 at 3:30 PM
Yes and yes. It comes in a jar and is solid like Crisco but melts when warm. You don't have to wipe it off but I'm slathering it on so thick the baby is sliding off so I just rub it off a bit on the back of my hand. Coconut oil is antibacterial and antifungal. It's a pretty good nipple cream on a good day, too. I was using lanolin and was feeling kind of gooey. (Look for unrefined organic coconut oil. I also use it as a makeup remover, moisturizer, hair conditioner, lip balm, for popping popcorn and instead of vegetable oil when making brownies. The stuff is good for everything, like duct tape ;-) It's an easy and good start for thrush and see what happens from there.

Quoting djsmommy13:

i'll have to try. thanks. can i get that just about anywhere? and can the baby nurse with it on me?

Quoting mostlymaydays: When my dd yawned I could see white on the roof of her mouth and my nipples were starting to burn and look shiny pink. I swear 2 days of coconut oil helped.
Quoting djsmommy13:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN