Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Period at 6 weeks?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
  • 31 Replies
So I'm about 98% sure I started my period yesterday. I haven't had any bleeding or spotting for well over 10 days, and before that bit was VERY little spotting. I just had this baby 6 weeks ago and he's exclusively breastfed....so what the hell?! I have an appointment today for my 6 week check so I'll find out for sure, but I thought I wouldn't have a period for ATLEAST four months after ;(

To top it off Ds is now acting very fussy when nursing. All night he was rooting and sucking on his hands but he'd latch and then spit out my milk and cry! Is this normal? I'm crampy and extra tired and grumpy and I can't feed my baby :(
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:22 AM
It could be or it may not be. Looking back at my last, i thought I had started because I was spotting several days at 7 weeks. I think i over did it, causing bleeding. It could also be anovulation bleeding

As far as his spitting out the milk and fussiness....do you have overactive letdown? What positiin do you nurse in at night?
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

It could be your period.  My sister gets hers back like clockwork at 6 weeks after every baby.  Our other sister thought there was something wrong with me that I didn't get mine back until the average 14 months pp.  Or, maybe you just overdid it and the bleeding will stop again.... let's hope for that!

As for how baby is acting, there is a MONSTER growth spurt at 6 weeks, which is exactly what this sounds like.  The next few days are your perfect opportunity to binge watch your favorite tv shows, watch a ton of chick flicks or catch up on your reading--expect to be parked on the couch nursing for most of the next several days.  Also expect to be ravenous becuase when baby eats a ton, mama needs to eat a ton, too.  So, basically do your best impression of a teenager: lazy and eating everything in sight. :)  By the end of the week you'll be back to normal and baby will be an inch longer.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Baby could be fussy because of 6 week growth spurt, too.

I have known people to get their period back at 6 weeks. It was usually the price they paid for having a baby who was already sleeping through the night. Not always, though. It's also very possible it's still post partum lochia, started back up again from a day of being a little too active.
LittleRed80
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:37 AM
If you are exclusively breastfeeding it is highly unlikely that it's your period. I had on and off lochia for 15 weeks last time. I was just about to get an ultrasound when it finally stopped .
Have you had your 6 weeks postpartum check up yet? You could call the Dr if you already have, just in case.
As for fussy baby, sounds like the 6 week growth spurt to me. It will pass.
sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:46 AM
I do have OAL. And we nurse in several different positions at night because my left breast will literally spray across the room as soon as it gets going. While it's annoying, it's normally not an issue since we've gotten used to it.

Quoting Precious333: It could be or it may not be. Looking back at my last, i thought I had started because I was spotting several days at 7 weeks. I think i over did it, causing bleeding. It could also be anovulation bleeding

As far as his spitting out the milk and fussiness....do you have overactive letdown? What positiin do you nurse in at night?
sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM
I'm waiting for my doctor right now :) hopefully it was just from a busy weekend, but I'm getting my iud today so these periods will go away whether they want to or not

Quoting LittleRed80: If you are exclusively breastfeeding it is highly unlikely that it's your period. I had on and off lochia for 15 weeks last time. I was just about to get an ultrasound when it finally stopped .
Have you had your 6 weeks postpartum check up yet? You could call the Dr if you already have, just in case.
As for fussy baby, sounds like the 6 week growth spurt to me. It will pass.
sjenkins8208
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM
Haha this made be actually LOL. If only I could have a glass of red while watching all those chick flicks ;)

Quoting K8wizzo:

It could be your period.  My sister gets hers back like clockwork at 6 weeks after every baby.  Our other sister thought there was something wrong with me that I didn't get mine back until the average 14 months pp.  Or, maybe you just overdid it and the bleeding will stop again.... let's hope for that!

As for how baby is acting, there is a MONSTER growth spurt at 6 weeks, which is exactly what this sounds like.  The next few days are your perfect opportunity to binge watch your favorite tv shows, watch a ton of chick flicks or catch up on your reading--expect to be parked on the couch nursing for most of the next several days.  Also expect to be ravenous becuase when baby eats a ton, mama needs to eat a ton, too.  So, basically do your best impression of a teenager: lazy and eating everything in sight. :)  By the end of the week you'll be back to normal and baby will be an inch longer.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:38 PM
Why can't you feed him? What he's doing is normal growth spurt behavior. Let him nurse as often and as much as he wants. It works by demand and supply; the more demand, the greater the supply. If he is going through 6-8 diapers every 24 hours, all is well. Look for these two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Don't depend on the pediatrician for breastfeeding knowledge--they don't study human lactation in medical school.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:41 PM
1 mom liked this
You may also have overactive letdown/oversupply. Try reclining to nurse; you lean back, he goes tummy-to-tummy with you vertically rather than horizontally, mouth over rather than under the nipple.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Aug. 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I'm glad!  I know I needed something to make me smile at 6 weeks. :)  As for the glass of red, go ahead.  Safe to drive = safe to nurse, so feel free to have a glass of wine if you want one.  Very little alcohol makes it into your milk and what does is metabolized from your milk at the same rate as it is from your blood.  I'm copying and pasting some of the most recent research below:

The following is from a blog by a mother who tested her milk for alcohol. Not one of those useless kits that you can buy at various stores, but tested at a toxicology laboratory. I will copy from her blog the method she used and the results. I think this puts the lie to the notion that women should not drink while breastfeeding or need to "pump and dump" (an appalling term) after having even one drink. The following is an exact quote from her blog:

Method:
First I took a sample of my milk (about 1 mL) prior to drinking any alcoholic beverage. I expressed the milk mid-nursing session to ensure I had a goodly portion of fore & hind milk. After completing the nursing session, I mixed myself an alcoholic beverage consisting of 2 oz of 80 proof (40%) vodka in 10 oz of soda (Sprite). I proceeded to drink the entire 12 oz in about 30 minutes. About 30 minutes after finishing (1 hour after beginning to drink), I expressed some milk (about 1 mL) and labeled it 'immediate'. I then waited 1 hour and expressed more milk (about 1 mL) and labeled it '2 hours'. In the 2 hours (from the beginning), I did not drink any more alcoholic beverages, drink other beverages, or eat any other foods. Another day, 1/2 of a beer (4.3% alcohol) and 2-6 oz glasses of wine were consumed within 1.5 hours. About an hour from the beginning of the last drink, a milk sample (about 1 mL) was taken. This sample was labeled '1 hour - 3 drinks'. Another sample was taken about an hour after that (2 hours after the beginning of the last drink). This sample was labeled '2 hours - 3 drinks'.

The samples were stored in the refrigerator until processing. An Agilent headspace instrument was used to run the tests. Propanol and ethanol standards were also tested to ensure the instrument was within limits. The instrument is maintained by the KSP Lab Toxicology Section and used in forensic determinations of blood and urine alcohol content.

Results:
The sample labeled as 'immediate' registered as 0.1370 mg/mL which correlates to 0.01370% alcohol in the sample. The sample labeled '2 hours' registered as 0.0000 mg/ml which correlates to 0.0000%. The sample labeled '1 hour - 3 drinks' registered as 0.3749 mg/mL which correlates to 0.03749% alcohol in the sample. The sample labeled '2 hours - 3 drinks' registered as 0.0629 mg/mL which correlates to 0.00629% alcohol in the sample.

Conclusion:
The alcohol content in breast milk immediately after drinking is equivalent to a 0.0274 proof beverage. That's like mixing 1 oz of 80 proof vodka (one shot) with 2919 oz of mixer . By the way, 2919 oz is over 70 liters. Two hours after drinking one (strong) drink the alcohol has disappeared from the sample. Completely harmless to the nursing infant. Drinking about 3 drinks in 1.5 hours resulted in higher numbers, but still negligible amounts of alcohol would be transferred to the child. One hour after imbibing in 3 drinks, the milk was the equivalent of 0.07498 proof beverage. That would be like adding 1 oz of 80 proof vodka (one shot) to 1066 oz of mixer (1066 oz is over 26 liters). Two hours after imbibing in 3 drinks, the milk was 0.01258 proof. That would be like adding 1 oz of 80 proof vodka to 3179 oz of mixer (over almost 80 liters). So, even though an infant has much less body weight, any of these percentage of alcohol in breast milk is unlikely to adversely affect the baby. Bottoms up!

Quoting sjenkins8208: Haha this made be actually LOL. If only I could have a glass of red while watching all those chick flicks ;)
Quoting K8wizzo:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)