Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Is this normal for a 11 week old

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM
  • 31 Replies
Ok I haven't breastfed for over a year (my DD is 2 1/2 and I breastfed her until she was 16 weeks). Anyway my 11 week old eats every 2 1/2-3 hours during the day but at night she eats every 4-6 hours she goes to bed around 9:30-10 then gets up around 3-3:30, will only nurse on one side then falls right back to sleep (I usually pump the one side she doesn't nurse on I was getting like 2-3 ounces in 5 minutes but last night I only got 1 1/4 ounce and it was 5 hours since her last nursing sessions) then she gets up again around 6:30-7. She has wet diapers and I assume she is getting enough, but when I used my hand pump last night I am concerned she is not getting enough. I took her to a ped. Dentist and she is not lip tied. Her birth weight was 7lbs. 9oz. She now weights 15lbs. 4oz. at 11 weeks.
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:41 AM
What makes you think she's not getting enough? With wet diapers and doubling her weight in 11 weeks, she is getting plenty. Stop worrying!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:54 AM

She's doing fine. 100% normal! What you pump means NOTHING compared to what she's getting. Nothng at all. THere are moms who can nure twins and never get ONE drop from the best pump.

She's more than double birth weight two months early. NO problems here. Relax. I'd dump the pumping at night in your place. Too much extgra work unless you're needing stash for something. There's no reason otherwise; supply forever adjusts.

annieb863
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Your baby is a freakin great weight for 11 weeks. And that's just the way it goes for some moms when they pump. I hate pumping lol. Just relax hun, as long as she is having wet and dirty diapers all is well!!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:02 AM
Baby is way ahead of the gain, diapers good, weight gain months ahead of schedule, sleeping good. Enjoy that baby and everything you've both accomplished so far! (Btw we hope for weight gain of an average pound a month so if baby had only gained 3 pounds in these past 3 months we'd be happy and yours gained 8!!!)
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM
Yep, this!

Quoting mostlymaydays: Baby is way ahead of the gain, diapers good, weight gain months ahead of schedule, sleeping good. Enjoy that baby and everything you've both accomplished so far! (Btw we hope for weight gain of an average pound a month so if baby had only gained 3 pounds in these past 3 months we'd be happy and yours gained 8!!!)
lost2013
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:26 AM
Everyone on her tells me she is lip tied and I know your supply can go down I went to a ped. dentist and they said everything looks normal. Plus when I pumped last night and only got the 1 1/4oz.

Quoting stepconfused182: What makes you think she's not getting enough? With wet diapers and doubling her weight in 11 weeks, she is getting plenty. Stop worrying!
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:55 AM
Her weight gain is double what we would expect. Yes, she is getting plenty! Diaper count is your true indicator of supply; if she is going through 6-8 in 24 hours, and poops are soft to almost runny, all is well. .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined for a missed feeding is normal pump output. And pump output tells you only what you can pump. Babies are way more efficient than the best of pumps.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:56 AM
If you would like, take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying. We can check for ties.
lost2013
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Mobile Photo

Sorry it is blurry she was fighting me she is a strong little girl. The Ped. dentist said it looks normal and is not concern. They even examined her the way the internet said they should they had me hold her with her feet towards me and they we sitting across from me then looked in her mouth from the top of her head.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you would like, take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying. We can check for ties.
lost2013
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:18 PM
It doesn't hurt at all to nurse sometimes it tickes.

Quoting lost2013:

Mobile Photo

Sorry it is blurry she was fighting me she is a strong little girl. The Ped. dentist said it looks normal and is not concern. They even examined her the way the internet said they should they had me hold her with her feet towards me and they we sitting across from me then looked in her mouth from the top of her head.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If you would like, take a picture of her mouth with the top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying. We can check for ties.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN