Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Doesn't wake to nurse.

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
  • 10 Replies
My baby is 8 days old, my third baby, and she has to be coaxed to nurse every time. I never had this problem with my other two, both nursed often. She isn't showing any signs of dehydration, pee is clear, 10 wet and poopy diapers a day. Poops about 5 times a day, rest are just wet. No jaundice, so nothing seems wrong. She doesn't go crazy sucking like a baby that is super hungry, sucking a bunch of air. She nurses very slow. So just wondering if you've had this experience, did they ever start to nurse on demand or did they always have to undress, and coax them to nurse? It's very hard to focus on forcing the feeding with other two kids demanding attention.
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I never had to coax my babies to eat. I just nursed on demand. If you're changing enough diapers and there's no jaundice, I wouldn't worry.
booaura
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM
I just always nursed on demand. Keep an eye on diaper count.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Becki
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM
I agree, except she goes longer than 4 hours and the doctor was making a big deal about her weight loss, so that's why I started.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:48 PM
What was birth weight, and lowest weight after birth? Can you take a picture of his mouth with her top lip turned up and one with her mouth open, like when she's crying, so we can check for ties?
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:09 PM
Many doctors freak out unnecessarily over the weight loss in the first week. What was the birth weight, lowest weight, and what kind of birth? Did you have IV fluids?

Quoting Mrs.Becki: I agree, except she goes longer than 4 hours and the doctor was making a big deal about her weight loss, so that's why I started.
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 2:15 PM

My second was like that. It took about 2 weeks for him to "want" to nurse. He was jaundiced though. Very sleepy from epidural and NICU stay.

Mrs.Becki
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:23 PM
She was 6 lbs 4oz at birth, went down to 5lbs 12, and is 5 14 as of Monday so hopefully more now? She's nursing now, yay, but has no latching problem so I don't think it's ties. Can update with pic later
Mrs.Becki
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:25 PM
Oh, vaginal birth, born at 37 weeks because my water broke but they put me on pitocin because contractions stopped so yes iv
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:30 PM
She didn't even lose the expected 10% and she's already gaining! There's nothing to worry about. Try nursing on demand and see how she does.

Quoting Mrs.Becki: She was 6 lbs 4oz at birth, went down to 5lbs 12, and is 5 14 as of Monday so hopefully more now? She's nursing now, yay, but has no latching problem so I don't think it's ties. Can update with pic later
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM
I'm surprised that she didn't lose more since you had an IV!

Quoting Mrs.Becki: Oh, vaginal birth, born at 37 weeks because my water broke but they put me on pitocin because contractions stopped so yes iv
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN