Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

My son turned 6 months and I'm Losing my milk all of the sudden;( Is this nomal?

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM
  • 20 Replies
I started him solids three weeks ago and just starting to lose my milk and my breast are shrinking...does he need less milk now? I can't remember from my first son 3 years ago. Thanks!
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:15 PM
Until 12 months, all baby needs is milk. Solids are extra. How are you feeding him? Are you nursing first? How much solids are you giving? Is he nursing less?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:21 PM
Probably too many solids. They are not nutritionally necessary until age one. Until then, only offer them after a full nursing session. I would leave them off altogether for a few days, nursing exclusively to bring your supply back up. When you start back, go slowly. They don't have to be offered every meal or even every day at this point. When you all sit down to dinner, after he's nursed, let him have a few pieces of whatever you're having to feed himself. No spoon feeding, purees or cereal. If he's not interested, stop and wait a few weeks. Many babies don't really get into solids until a year or more.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Are you nursing immediately before giving the solids every time? How much are you giving? Is he feeding himself? His milk intake should not decrease. The solids should be the dessert to the meal of the milk.
ashley5277
by New Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Same thing here! He eats solids and nurses a lot but I'm just not producing as much as before.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Quoting ashley5277:

Same thing here! He eats solids and nurses a lot but I'm just not producing as much as before.

Again, if your baby is under a year old, solids are not nutritionally necessary. To bring supply back up, leave solids off and exclusively nurse for a few days. If pump output is decreasing, pump membranes may need replacing. It is normal for pump output to drop later in the first year, but that doesn't mean baby is getting less; babies are more efficient than the best of pumps.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:52 PM

according to what?

Quoting ashley5277:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Theres a huge regulation at 6 months, breasts get smaller, pumping response goes down, BUT you are making milk just fine, your breasts are factories not warehouses they make the milk as its needed more and more as you get closer to a year

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:34 PM

How do you know your milk is decreasing?  Did diaper count drop?

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Soft and shrinking breasts do not at all mean your supply is decreasing. That's usually a good sign that your supply has regulated and you're making milk on demand. Full engorged breasts send your brain the signal to decrease supply while soft breasts do the opposite. Supply is best determined by output: diapers.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:04 PM
On that note, like everyone else said, if baby gets too many solids or solids instead of milk, then you're decreasing demand which will in turn decrease supply, and you'll notice less diapers and drier diapers. And you can fix that problem by nursing more and cutting back on solids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN