Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

HELP! Going back to work, he is 10 months old.

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM
  • 27 Replies

I'm scatter brained and don't know what to do. So forgive me, I know all of these questions get asked frequently.

First: how much milk does he need per day? I will be working 11am to 4pm. But I have an orientation that is 8-4 the first day only.

next: daycare wants unfrozen milk. So help me figure out the logistics with that. How do I unthaw it properly? I honestly only have 5 ounces frozen right now because I hated pumping and I didn't have a need for making a "stash" like some people do.

pumping: today he nursed at 11. I pumped for 15 minutes at 1 o'clock and only got 2 ounces, that's from both breasts combined total of 2 ounces. I remember when he was younger I pumped a few times and got like 7 ounces in that same time. :/ is this a supply issue? How will I be able to pump enough before I start work on Sept 8th? 

*pumping membranes seem fine, as I said they haven't been used a lot or anything.

I'm really stressing out right now. :(

ETA: also should he get milk from a sippy cup? Or bottle? Any recommendations on brands or types of sippy? He has a sippy that he drinks a few gulps of water from like once a day. 

I also read about reverse cycling... Maybe he won't even really drink that much milk at day care...?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Succubus1987
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM

I'm no help on this topic but I'll keep it bumped until someone who knows see's it. 

.Blondie.
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM

*muah

thanks!

Quoting Succubus1987:

I'm no help on this topic but I'll keep it bumped until someone who knows see's it. 

Succubus1987
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

No problem ;) 

Quoting .Blondie.:

*muah

thanks!

Quoting Succubus1987:

Succubus1987
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:49 PM
Bump :)
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM
Ok so the "rule is 1.5 oz per hour your gone
mama_pink_tink
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM
I'd suggest picking 2 or 3 feedings that you can wait an hour after baby eats, and pump.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Pump in the morning, as soon as possible after you wake up. Then nurse as usual.
To thaw the frozen milk put it in the fridge. Once you go back you won't need to freeze your milk anymore, just put it in the fridge.
In my experience bottles for before nap/bedtime and cup at other times, unless the kid can't use on yet. We use cups with straws and regular cups.
Five ounces is half what you need before your first day. You need a minimum of 1 ounce per hour, with a max of 1.5 ounces per hour. I'd recommend 2.5 oz every two hours.
You don't pump as much anymore because you haven't been pumping regularly and your supply has regulated. Start pumping once every morning and you'll have a stash and you'll work up your pump response.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.Blondie.
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Thank you. This sounds like I can tackle it, you decreased my anxiety already!

Quoting polkaspots: Pump in the morning, as soon as possible after you wake up. Then nurse as usual. To thaw the frozen milk put it in the fridge. Once you go back you won't need to freeze your milk anymore, just put it in the fridge. In my experience bottles for before nap/bedtime and cup at other times, unless the kid can't use on yet. We use cups with straws and regular cups. Five ounces is half what you need before your first day. You need a minimum of 1 ounce per hour, with a max of 1.5 ounces per hour. I'd recommend 2.5 oz every two hours. You don't pump as much anymore because you haven't been pumping regularly and your supply has regulated. Start pumping once every morning and you'll have a stash and you'll work up your pump response.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM
Np. I only pump my left in the morning because the right side gets used throughout the night. I pump for twenty minutes and get 4-5 ounces on a bad day. I pump for ten minutes on each side while at work. I mostly work in the evening, so I almost never get more than an ounce or two during those sessions.
Some tricks to help boost your output is to use your hands to push more milk out and to have galactagogues snacks before you pump. My usual is an oat muffin with some chocolate milk with ground oats in it.

Quoting .Blondie.:

Thank you. This sounds like I can tackle it, you decreased my anxiety already!

Quoting polkaspots: Pump in the morning, as soon as possible after you wake up. Then nurse as usual.
To thaw the frozen milk put it in the fridge. Once you go back you won't need to freeze your milk anymore, just put it in the fridge.
In my experience bottles for before nap/bedtime and cup at other times, unless the kid can't use on yet. We use cups with straws and regular cups.
Five ounces is half what you need before your first day. You need a minimum of 1 ounce per hour, with a max of 1.5 ounces per hour. I'd recommend 2.5 oz every two hours.
You don't pump as much anymore because you haven't been pumping regularly and your supply has regulated. Start pumping once every morning and you'll have a stash and you'll work up your pump response.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 7:27 PM
The need is 1-1.25 ounces per hour. That turns out to be around 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours between nursing sessions. If you nurse right before you leave and as soon as you return, you can leave less milk. As mentioned above, start pumping first thing every morning to train your body to respond to the pump. Once you start work, what you pump one day, you leave for the next, so there's no need to freeze the milk. I would offer the milk in the cup since he already knows how to use it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN