Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Baby hates solids :/

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM
  • 12 Replies
DS will be 8 months in a week. We've very slowly started BLW and it's not going well. As soon as he gets a chunk in his mouth, he immediately and violently gags and pukes. Every. Single. Time. He's always had a terrible gag reflex (gags at the breast, bottles, toys, fingers, pacifiers), but it was getting better so I tried to start solids. I'm not too worried because I know he doesn't nutritionally need them yet, but I want him to like food :/
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Mine is eight months and not eating yet either. He doesn't vomit, but he gags occasionally and spits everything back out instead of swallowing. It will pass
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crob4
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:47 PM

My youngest hated food until she was around a hear. Once she figured out how to eat, that kid loved food. He'll figure it out soon :)

MaryJarrett
by Mary on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM
Mine neber really ate until closer to 2. Now at almost 6 and 4.5, they eat everything.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:26 PM
Did he have a tongue tie revised early on? Ties tend to cause this kind of thing with solids.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM
My third son was like that with solids, he wasn't ready until 13 months:-) He is a little picky but he's almost 3 now, it's not uncommon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM
My son is the same way. He's 9 months old. Don't worry, he will eat :)
hip2it
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM
My nine month old thinks when I put food on his tray that its time to feed the dog.
jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:40 PM

That actually sounds like my first DS.  And I no longer remember what it was called, but he actually needed OT to correct his issue.  Literally, nothing could go in his mouth other than a boob.  We had little tools with different textures on them that we needed to rub over his tongue and gums every day. It took a while.  He couldn't really eat anything until well after his first birthday.  And oddly enough, the things he COULD eat were crunchy.  Or, at least not soft.  I was eating Cheetos one day and he stole one off the table and ate it.  With no issues.  Go figure...

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:41 AM
My first child was the same. So he didnt get solids until he was 11-12 months. Dont worry if your LO cant handle solids now :)
LeapBaby123
by Kathleen on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:14 AM
Yes, he did. I've thought his ties were what made him have a horrible gag reflex. I just didn't know how bad it would be :/

Quoting aehanrahan: Did he have a tongue tie revised early on? Ties tend to cause this kind of thing with solids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN