Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Laying down

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:29 AM
  • 11 Replies
Is there a secret to getting your baby to lay Dow for longer than 10 minutes without crying and without being held?

I just want to comfortably sleep even if just for an hour, but even if he's fallen asleep, delatched and everything if I lay him down 10-20 minutes later and he's crying.
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
BraniOut
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:55 AM
Newborns are super light sleepers because they spend the majority of their time in REM sleep. It takes about 20 minutes for them to get into a deep sleep. When you lay him down, try gently holding his hands for a minute or two until he seems calm. Holding his hands will help him feel more secure. Swaddling can help. DS did best in a swing or bouncy seat for the first few weeks if I was too tired to hold or wear him.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:56 AM
I had a bad night, too. 2 week old. Nothing I did made her happy. Not even nursing.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Co-sleeping saved my sanity. They slept in my arm and nursed. I slept more that way.
24Mom2Be
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM
I was reconsidering the swaddling. I'm just afraid he gets too hot. He got a heat rash on his arms his first week home from swaddling

Quoting BraniOut: Newborns are super light sleepers because they spend the majority of their time in REM sleep. It takes about 20 minutes for them to get into a deep sleep. When you lay him down, try gently holding his hands for a minute or two until he seems calm. Holding his hands will help him feel more secure. Swaddling can help. DS did best in a swing or bouncy seat for the first few weeks if I was too tired to hold or wear him.
24Mom2Be
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM
That's kinda what happens now. DH doesn't even sleep in the bed since I use all the space for me and DS.

And DH is a super heavy sleeper. Like I woke up to him on top of me once while sleeping so I wouldn't trust him in bed with DS

Quoting MusherMaggie: Co-sleeping saved my sanity. They slept in my arm and nursed. I slept more that way.
BraniOut
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, my DS was born in the last week of May, and swaddling made him too hot also. Holding his hands helped. It got better around 5weeks or so though. I hope you can find something that works soon.

Quoting 24Mom2Be: I was reconsidering the swaddling. I'm just afraid he gets too hot. He got a heat rash on his arms his first week home from swaddling

Quoting BraniOut: Newborns are super light sleepers because they spend the majority of their time in REM sleep. It takes about 20 minutes for them to get into a deep sleep. When you lay him down, try gently holding his hands for a minute or two until he seems calm. Holding his hands will help him feel more secure. Swaddling can help. DS did best in a swing or bouncy seat for the first few weeks if I was too tired to hold or wear him.
newtobemom
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM
DD was same, no sleep if you put her down and in swaddle was getting very hot. I bought halo sleep sack swaddle in muslin and it really saved my life. :-).
With swaddle I can lay her down anywhere once she sleeps, just keep my hand gently on her for couple of minutes as she settles..been working for us like a charm

Quoting 24Mom2Be: I was reconsidering the swaddling. I'm just afraid he gets too hot. He got a heat rash on his arms his first week home from swaddling

mamabens
by Miranda on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:46 AM
2 moms liked this

Bedsharing is the ONLY way I got/get any sleep. Eta a picture of how we safely bedshare with dh not being kicked out. Dh has seizures so Maddox can't safely sleep next to him. So he stays on the sidecarred crib side and dh behind me.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:33 PM
You can put the bad against the wall and have baby in bed safely with you. The easiest way for me is to nurse my little ones in their beds and then get up and leave them. My eight month old is sleeping almost all night and naps in his bed without issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tgerard
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM
My 7 week old would startle himself awake after 10-20 min laying on his back since getting him home from hospital. I tried swaddling an he hated it. Only way he would really sleep was in his swing so i bought one of the rock n play sleepers an he sleeps good in that. Its helped me get more sleep at night.

Quoting 24Mom2Be: Is there a secret to getting your baby to lay Dow for longer than 10 minutes without crying and without being held?

I just want to comfortably sleep even if just for an hour, but even if he's fallen asleep, delatched and everything if I lay him down 10-20 minutes later and he's crying.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN