Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Attempting to wean

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hello everyone!

My lil one is 10 months old and is a great eater from the breast and a bottle at daycare. I have extra supply built up (probably around a month worth of daycare feedings) and am trying to start the weaning process. I dropped my morning pumping session to start. My question is how has it gone for you to keep maybe a night time feeding for a longer period without any daytime from breast feedings or pumping sessions?

Thanks!!

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Do you mean you're weaning off the pump or you're going to wean your son off the breast and/or breastmilk? If you are weaning him off the breast before he's 1, you NEED to replace those feedings with bottled breastmilk or formula.  

Mama2boys418
by New Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Absolutely I will be replacing the feedings with bottled breastmilk as I have plenty stored. My main concern is how have nght feedings continued for people if that is all you keep even after a year...do you dry up or are you able to continue for a period of time?

Quoting stepconfused182:

Do you mean you're weaning off the pump or you're going to wean your son off the breast and/or breastmilk? If you are weaning him off the breast before he's 1, you NEED to replace those feedings with bottled breastmilk or formula.  

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Your body will adjust. You will not dry up as long as there is still a demand. After a year, I stopped pumping at work, nursed when I was home and my daughter was offered water and food when I wasn't home. If you do it slow enough, you won't have any problem adjusting. Whats the reason you want to start weaing this early? Breastmilk straight from the breast is stll very beneficial for him. The live antibodies and blood cells he can get from fresh milk are very important.

Quoting Mama2boys418:

Absolutely I will be replacing the feedings with bottled breastmilk as I have plenty stored. My main concern is how have nght feedings continued for people if that is all you keep even after a year...do you dry up or are you able to continue for a period of time?

Quoting stepconfused182:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this
The last 6 to 9 months I was breastfeeding my last we only nursed at night. My body got the hang of it and cooperated with that one fed on with no issue. ( my baby was closer to 2.5 yrs when we were nursing once a day)

Quoting Mama2boys418:

Quoting stepconfused182:

amandaut99
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:37 PM

That is what I am doing now with my almost 13 month old. She nurses 4-6 times in the evenings and it has been fine. I haven't had an issue with engorgement during the day or lack of supply at night.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:11 PM
What she said!

Quoting stepconfused182:

Your body will adjust. You will not dry up as long as there is still a demand. After a year, I stopped pumping at work, nursed when I was home and my daughter was offered water and food when I wasn't home. If you do it slow enough, you won't have any problem adjusting. Whats the reason you want to start weaing this early? Breastmilk straight from the breast is stll very beneficial for him. The live antibodies and blood cells he can get from fresh milk are very important.

Quoting Mama2boys418:

Quoting stepconfused182:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

If you keep nursing when together you should be fine supply wise..so far so good for me, my guy just turned a year and I havent pumped in a long time

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Wait until he is a year. Is there a particular reason you want to wean? Weaning at a year is really a formula thing; no one wants to pay for expensive formula after a year. Breastfeeding continues to provide all sorts of benefits, particularly if baby is not eating a lot of solids, or has picky spells. The immune benefit is important as baby us out and around other.people more. Baby-led weaning is gradual, going along hand-in-hand with other developmental milestones.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN