Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Bottle help.. I'm so mad for her!! -- WE GOT IT!!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:40 AM
  • 21 Replies

We found a bottle Abrianna will take about mid August.  We heathed her milk up in a pot of water on the stove and gave it to her in an Advanced Orthodontic Nuk. I stayed out of sight and she drank the whole 2 ounces for daddy.

She started daycare 2 weeks later because I went back to nursing school. She'd take a bottle here and there, then totally started refusing. I thought maybe she was on a strike because I'm gone, but surely she'd get hungry and take it. Nope. We've tried the Nuks, Avents, Dr Brown, Evenflo, Mam and it's still a no go!

I talk to her providers everyday when I pick her up. I rock and nurse her and converse with them. I finally asked how they hold her and they hold her correctly for a BF baby. Then they told me that they do NOT heat up her milk and let it get to room temperature then give it to her. The bottle goes from the fridge, sits out a little and they give it to her! She refuses these bottles that she took for daddy now.

Does she associate these bottles with cold milk now? She was fussy the first week of daycare and I assumed it was because she was still adjusting, could she have had a tummy ache from cold milk?

Help me find a bottle, please!

We've been so busy I forgot to update my post! The weekend after I posted this I had daddy give her a bottle. She'll now take frozen mix straight from the bottle with no issues, but it was to be VERY warm. What a picky gal!

by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:51 AM

She might not like the milk at room temperature but it wouldn't have given her a tummy ache. Many babies are fine with it on the colder side. Considering her refusual, they should at least try to get it a little warmer. She may just hate the bottle and prefer to reverse cycle like crazy when she is with you. My 2 week old took a bottle yesterday for my mother in law, It was probably barely room temp as MIL said when she first went to give it to her there was a ice chunk in it still. The bottle was a Kiinde Twist. My other babies never took bottles and my in laws are wierded out by breastfeeding so I thought this system would be the easiest for her.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:53 AM
Hmmmm, i was under the impression that breastmilk was not suppose to be heated, but given at room temperature.
Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Tommee Tippee bottles!!!!!

we warm up BM for bottles

skymcr
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:59 AM
My children never liked cold milk when they were babies. My mom watched them for me while I worked, and she made sure that their milk was warm. In my opinion, it was kind of hot, but that was how they like it. If it was a little bit cold, they would refuse to drink it.
BraniOut
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My DS doesn't like cold bottles either.
besosfantasies
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I just know that ds would always get a tummy ache from cold formula :\ She tooks bottles as a newborn and then we switched to complete FOD. But they never tried to warm it. She may be reverse cycling because she does nurse more once she's with me... but she's having less wet diapers while at daycare and is refusing everything but food.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

She might not like the milk at room temperature but it wouldn't have given her a tummy ache. Many babies are fine with it on the colder side. Considering her refusual, they should at least try to get it a little warmer. She may just hate the bottle and prefer to reverse cycle like crazy when she is with you. My 2 week old took a bottle yesterday for my mother in law, It was probably barely room temp as MIL said when she first went to give it to her there was a ice chunk in it still. The bottle was a Kiinde Twist. My other babies never took bottles and my in laws are wierded out by breastfeeding so I thought this system would be the easiest for her.

besosfantasies
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Kellymom.com states to warm using warm bowl/pot or bottle warmer and to never microwave. :) 

Quoting Precious333: Hmmmm, i was under the impression that breastmilk was not suppose to be heated, but given at room temperature.

besosfantasies
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:14 PM

I was looking at the last night and they seem much more round like breasts. I wanted to give our Nuks another try since we spent so much on them but I'm afraid she may not put up with it.

Quoting Hannahsmommy816:

Tommee Tippee bottles!!!!!

we warm up BM for bottles

besosfantasies
by Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:16 PM

If they get it from us warm, why would they not want it warm from the bottle, right? :) That's why I'm so frustrated with her providers.. I don't think it's a hard concept to grasp.

Quoting skymcr: My children never liked cold milk when they were babies. My mom watched them for me while I worked, and she made sure that their milk was warm. In my opinion, it was kind of hot, but that was how they like it. If it was a little bit cold, they would refuse to drink it.

Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 31, 2014 at 12:21 PM
Ok, i never gave bottles, so not much practuce here. The few times I did I just let it sit out on the counter until it was room temp, or ran it under warm water.

Quoting besosfantasies:

Kellymom.com states to warm using warm bowl/pot or bottle warmer and to never microwave. :) 

Quoting Precious333: Hmmmm, i was under the impression that breastmilk was not suppose to be heated, but given at room temperature.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN