Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

She won't stop biting! Eta Again

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM
  • 6 Replies
I am breastfeeding my fifth child. She is almost 11 months old and has her two bottom teeth.

As of last night, she kept biting or scratching my nipple with her teeth. Ouch! We had a loooooong night because of it.

She usually wakes up during the night for a feeding, but this time she would eat a little then bite me.

It went on for three hours!

This morning and afternoon the same thing has happened. She ate her baby food just fine.

I tried giving her breast milk in a bottle, but she pretty much refuses it.

I don't know what's going on and what she wants.

I have tried feeding her with no distractions. In her favorite position, which is while we both lie on the bed. With her music on.

Could she be self weaning?
Do you think there is something else going on?

I breastfed three of my other children just fine. I weaned them at 12 months.

Help?

*Now she won't even latch. She just turns away. She isn't sick, she's eating baby food, she's still her happy little self. Not fussy in anyway or crying. She is refusing to breastfeed now. My diet has not changed. I don't know what to do now.

**She started breastfeeding again lat night around 3am. Things are go well so far. Thank you for your advice. I'm still not sure why she did it, but we seem to be past it! I can relax again :)
by on Aug. 31, 2014 at 5:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
jjchick75
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 5:38 PM
No not self weaning. Self weaning doesn't happen before a year. Treat any teething pain and work on nursing manners.

http://mobile.cafemom.com/group/325/forums/read/18466479/WHEN_BABIES_ATTACK_Or_ways_to_stop_biting
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Aug. 31, 2014 at 6:27 PM
Yeah, not self weaning. Could be teething, laziness or fallong asleep can and jaw relaxing, my nephew would do this when.nursing to sleep.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 1, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Are you giving the food separate from nursing? Your milk is what she nutritionally needs, not the food. Food should be the dessert to the meal of the milk. If you're feeding her solids separately, I think she may have developed a preference for the solids over nursing, which can be nutritionally dangerous before a year old.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:06 AM
Cut the solids for a couple of days. She's having a nursing strike. She won't let herself starve. Be sure she's not having teething pain, and offer milk from the breast, or from a cup. When you start back with solids, give her small pieces of whatever you're having, after a full nursing session. No need for purees or spoon feeding.
Barb87
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 8:50 AM
I agree with MusherMagie.
BUT
If that doesn't work, bite her in the same place she bites you. Not hard enough to make her cry, but enough to get her attention & realize that "hey, this hurts" & she'll stop. My DS bite me 3x. Like looked me dead in my eyes & bit my nipple while nursing. So I stopped, put my boob away & bit his nipple all 3x. He hasn't bit it since.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 1, 2014 at 12:50 PM

All of the above. And if she doesn't nurse nicely, put her in a safe place and WALK AWAY for five minutes. DO NOT allow biting. Three strikes. First bite gets a pause and "No bite." Repeat on second bite. Third bite, into her high chair WITH NO FOOD and walk away.

She never gets solids unless she's nursed nicely. Solids ONLY follow nursing, no more than 30 minutes between nursing and solids. 

100% NOT self weaning. But too many solids do lead to weaning. Solids are to be at most 25% of her diet right now, and less is fine. 0% is fine. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)