Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Awkward breastfeeding situation!

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM
  • 138 Replies
So, I'm a veteran long term breastfeeding mom. I'm currently nursing my four and a half year old. I'm proud of it, and I wouldn't stop for anything, unless it was my son choosing to stop on his own.

My son wanted to nurse the other day. My bil and sil were here and I was inside with the youngest, my nursling. My son fell asleep on me, we were nursing sitting up in a recliner. He fell asleep laying on my boob. The naked boob was out. Just the one though.

My bil came in without knocking, and saw boob.

It embarrassed him horribly! I kind of chuckled, and covered it up. He went back outside.
I'm not going to try to explain it or talk to him about it, because its natural and I have every right to do it, especially in my own home.

Has anyone else had this happen? What did you do?

I'm just feeling weird for laughing when I think of it here. His shock was comical. It's also worth noting that he and his wife never had kids, and he and my husband were raised in a very bottle feeding family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyRush
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM
Sorry but i would of probably had a similar reaction. Nursings a 4and half year old is weird. If you want them to have breast milk i would be pumping and giving it to them. At that age they understand ehat boobs are and the different body part of man n women. I think its strange they can talk and are very independent even.starting school at that age and the kids is still on the boob. Sorry but just my thought
luckystars2012
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM
Not only is it not natural, it's inappropriate to just be laying there with your boob out when you have guests. Setting aside the fact that your child is school aged, he WASN'T nursing. He was sleeping after nursing. Have some respect for yourself and your guests.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

He will get over it...you chuckled becuase it was normal for you, he is a grown up he will be fine

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:14 PM
14 moms liked this

You are certainly in the wrong group..nursing a child no matter the age is natural...and when they fall asleep the often just unlatch and fall asleep on the breast, again totally natural.  He walked in unannounced, she didnt know she would have guests.  Please understand your comments are not welcome here if you ar egoing to be rude

Quoting luckystars2012: Not only is it not natural, it's inappropriate to just be laying there with your boob out when you have guests. Setting aside the fact that your child is school aged, he WASN'T nursing. He was sleeping after nursing. Have some respect for yourself and your guests.

booaura
by Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM
7 moms liked this
You realize that you are in the breastfeeding group, right? Breastfeeding is normal, at any age. Why would a breastfeeding woman pump, when it's much easier to just nurse from the source?

Quoting MommyRush: Sorry but i would of probably had a similar reaction. Nursings a 4and half year old is weird. If you want them to have breast milk i would be pumping and giving it to them. At that age they understand ehat boobs are and the different body part of man n women. I think its strange they can talk and are very independent even.starting school at that age and the kids is still on the boob. Sorry but just my thought
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:16 PM
6 moms liked this

NOPE its pretty darn normal, especially in this group.  May be wierd for you but not for me or many of the moms here.  Heck in most of the rest of the world its not wierd.  Why join a group and then verbally attack people? Your way of thinking is fine for you, but its rude and disrespectful to say things like this to another mother.  The Natural age of weaning is WAY higher than 4...so back off this momma

Quoting MommyRush: Sorry but i would of probably had a similar reaction. Nursings a 4and half year old is weird. If you want them to have breast milk i would be pumping and giving it to them. At that age they understand ehat boobs are and the different body part of man n women. I think its strange they can talk and are very independent even.starting school at that age and the kids is still on the boob. Sorry but just my thought

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Interesting that the comments against this are from NEW members!!!

My dad would have DIED.  He would never speak about it again.  :)  So funny.  Does he know you still nurse, or did he think you just let the little one sleep on your breast?  Ha ha.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Not to mention nutritionally better at the breast

Quoting booaura: You realize that you are in the breastfeeding group, right? Breastfeeding is normal, at any age. Why would a breastfeeding woman pump, when it's much easier to just nurse from the source?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM
2 moms liked this

Just trolling

Quoting micheledo:

Interesting that the comments against this are from NEW members!!!

My dad would have DIED.  He would never speak about it again.  :)  So funny.  Does he know you still nurse, or did he think you just let the little one sleep on your breast?  Ha ha.

jackiewal10
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I probably would have waved and winked at him. LOL  I also wouldn't think about it again.  IF he says anything, just have a blase attitude about it toward him, because you know he just won't get it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN