Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gassy EBF baby?!?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:04 AM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this
So, ds is almost 5wks old & is EBF...he also stays very gassy. I can sometimes hear him swallowing air when he eats & I guess it just goes straight down to his little intestines, bc even though he burps really good usually, he still gets pained (& will eventually "toot"). It's exhausting bc after every feeding (esp night feedings), I have to work with him to help get the gas out. He wakes me up in the middle of the night grunting and moaning so hard. He's even made himself spit up he's grunted so hard. He'll grunt & "fight" at the breast when his belly starts to hurt. I've just never known of a bf baby having so much gas? Idk if it's due to an OAL or if it's latch problems (nursing is not uncomfortable now). I would appreciate any insight into this. Oh, & I'll add that we do give him has drops & gripe water from the to time to help some.
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:18 AM
1 mom liked this

OAL is the first thing I'd think, and uphill nursing would be advised. No across the lap ever... lay him tummy to tummy with mouth over the breast.

The second is that the latch issues aren't actually resolved; tongue and lip ties can cause all this.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:42 AM
1 mom liked this
What Gina said!^^^
Loralismommy224
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:31 AM
Quoting gdiamante:

OAL is the first thing I'd think, and uphill nursing would be advised. No across the lap ever... lay him tummy to tummy with mouth over the breast.

The second is that the latch issues aren't actually resolved; tongue and lip ties can cause all this.

Thank you! I will try the uphill nursing & he was checked in the hospital for any ties- I was told he was ok, but I will have HIS pedo check today at his 1 month follow up!
Loralismommy224
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:05 AM
Quoting gdiamante:

Is it ok for baby to be at a slight angle during uphill nursing? I just tried complete "up/down" laying, & he didn't like it at all, so I kind of laid him to the side just a little with his tummy still facing mine?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Can you take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying? We may be able to spot the ties if they are present. Most pediatricians are not trained as far as ties go. We have a wonderful section on ties in our resources sticky with links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. And a slight angle is acceptable as long as his mouth is still over rather than under the nipple.
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Oh, yes. In the most typical type of uphill nursing, baby's indeed at an angle. Best seat in the house for this is a recliner.

Quoting Loralismommy224:
Quoting gdiamante:

Is it ok for baby to be at a slight angle during uphill nursing? I just tried complete "up/down" laying, & he didn't like it at all, so I kind of laid him to the side just a little with his tummy still facing mine?

Loralismommy224
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM
Quoting MusherMaggie: Can you take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with his mouth open, like when he's crying? We may be able to spot the ties if they are present. Most pediatricians are not trained as far as ties go. We have a wonderful section on ties in our resources sticky with links to pictures, articles and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. And a slight angle is acceptable as long as his mouth is still over rather than under the nipple.

I will have to wait until DH gets home to help me. I tried by myself & that didn't work out too well, lol!
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:43 AM
Any position where he is not under the breast will help. Our favorites were reclining in bed with my son to the side, side laying in bed, and tummy to tummy in the mei tai carrier.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1-3 months are a huge age for got still forming too. We spent a lot of time with tummy rubbing and bicycles as well. Probably conbo of oal and tummy figuring out what to do. B
Loralismommy224
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:59 AM
Quoting aehanrahan: Any position where he is not under the breast will help. Our favorites were reclining in bed with my son to the side, side laying in bed, and tummy to tummy in the mei tai carrier.

...you mean his body "is not under the breast?"
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)