Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting my micro preemie to nurse - 46+ weeks adjusted now. First day at 4x a day.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM
  • 11 Replies

First feed at noon : He didn't latch, he as going between falling asleep and then trying to poop. They also ended his feeds about 40 minutes before my attempt after his feeds went over a large quantity over 2 hours, so he wasn't quite hungry yet either. It was okay, we tried, then let him have his bolus. Since he tolerated it so well, they went down to 1 1/2 hours.

Second feed, He latched and ate what I assume to be a decent amount.

third feed - he latched and seemed to eat fine. I was sort of asleep since it was midnight.

4th feed, I struggled to wake him up for 20 minutes or so, then kind of gave up because I don't want to stress him out, so I pumped while he laid in the crib unswaddled until he showed that he wasn't going to fall back asleep.  I then offered and he nursed for about 7 minutes... when she checked how much milk he got after pumping - he had gotten himself an ounce in 7 minutes.

It seems like he's pretty efficient at nursing when he chooses to eat.

We may need to swap around feeding times simply because sometimes it takes 15-20 minutes to rouse him enough to make him realize he's hungry, and 2 of the feedings hit right at shift change. I'm going to talk to them about that today after rounds and see if we can't find a better solution so we have a little more time.

2pm and 8pm and 2am and 8am might work better for him and the nurses, I'll just have to see if we can do that instead of 6 and noon.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this
Hang in there, Emma. Good luck!
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:44 AM
You GO, girl! :-)
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep it up! You and Wyatt are AMAZING!!!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Hang in there momms, he may be a baby that schedules feeds just dont work for.  I know NICU requires it but they may just find when he is allowed to nurse on demand he thrives and shocks them all!  Supply varies so much throughout the day so baby's intake does too. 1oz in 7 minutes is GREAT! I dont think he is struggling in that department!

kajira
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:39 PM

they are more worried about him getting too much, rather than not enough. They have him on restricted fluids due to his lungs. They don't want him to get too much fluid and become "wet" from his heart and lungs working too hard.

I'm not sure he'd have a problem with that if they let him eat when and how he wanted.... but if he doesn't start gaining weight by this weekend, they will make me stop nursing him and start bottle feeding with supplements.

I kind of feel like they set us up to fail though because he's getting over a cold, they changed vitamins and to bolus feeds, along with a schedule that's not flexible to accomodate his wakeful times to make nursing more of a success, or time to adapt and learn he needs to wake up to his hunger cues.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Hang in there momms, he may be a baby that schedules feeds just dont work for.  I know NICU requires it but they may just find when he is allowed to nurse on demand he thrives and shocks them all!  Supply varies so much throughout the day so baby's intake does too. 1oz in 7 minutes is GREAT! I dont think he is struggling in that department!

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Great job! :)
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM
Quoting kajira:

they are more worried about him getting too much, rather than not enough. They have him on restricted fluids due to his lungs. They don't want him to get too much fluid and become "wet" from his heart and lungs working too hard.

I'm not sure he'd have a problem with that if they let him eat when and how he wanted.... but if he doesn't start gaining weight by this weekend, they will make me stop nursing him and start bottle feeding with supplements.

I kind of feel like they set us up to fail though because he's getting over a cold, they changed vitamins and to bolus feeds, along with a schedule that's not flexible to accomodate his wakeful times to make nursing more of a success, or time to adapt and learn he needs to wake up to his hunger cues.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would tell them.just what you've told us here. I know it's hard for you. Give it to them written down if that makes it easier.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

kajira
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:14 PM

im trying to get them to adapt his times to 8 and 2. We'll start tonight, see how that goes.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting kajira:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would tell them.just what you've told us here. I know it's hard for you. Give it to them written down if that makes it easier.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Praying that he gains then :)

Quoting kajira:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

PolishMamma2
by Marta on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would think the worst is over & they should ease up a bit. Atleast Hes getting your milk. I would think they need to give him time for his jaw mussles to adapt to nursing too. Its all a process, Hes never really known hunger either because hes always been Fed by iv right, just keep looking at the bright side.

Quoting kajira:

im trying to get them to adapt his times to 8 and 2. We'll start tonight, see how that goes.

Quoting MusherMaggie:
Quoting kajira:

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)