Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just in case....

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM
  • 14 Replies

If for some reason we can't get him to eat enough to gain weight nursing full time, and we HAVE to supplement, which dairy-free high cal formula woudl you recommend that's easiest on the gut?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serabeth06
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:05 PM

No idea, I honestly don't know anything about formula, but here's a bump for you.

skylarkdancer
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM
Look up Westin a prices formula. You make it yourself. Had to do it for my daughter briefly when she was 9 months old.
kajira
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:18 PM

the hospital will want to start it in the hospital, has to be something they have. I can always wean him off it and to breastfeeding when he's stronger if this doesn't work out - provided he'll nurse at least half the time.

Quoting skylarkdancer: Look up Westin a prices formula. You make it yourself. Had to do it for my daughter briefly when she was 9 months old.

BraniOut
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:18 PM
The one I found easiest for my DD was Enfamil Nutriemigen, which is hypoallergenic, although it does contain some milk protein. I don't think it's available in high calorie options though. The only preemie formulas I know of are dairy based. I'm certainly not an expert on formula though.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that supplements won't be needed at all though.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I would be afraid to use formula for a micropremie since formula increases the risk of NEC, especially with the issues that Wyatt has already been through.
Seximama23
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:40 PM
I have no clue. But tgey do have human milk fortifier to help bulk it up.
MomOfFish
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
I would ask for neocate or elecare and adjust the mix to make it high calorie. It is as dairy free as you can get and easier for their body to break down because it is amino acid based. Also it is safe in feeding tubes if that is ever needed for any reason.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:32 PM
I read this quickly earlier and thought he was already having gain problems but you're just thinking ahead, right? I hope it doesn't even come to this.
kajira
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Yes, right now were just thinking ahead. I just want time to prepare for the worst so I am "okay" with it so to speak if it comes down to it.

As it is, I will most likely hae to consent to at least 2 bottles a day just to get some sleep since they don't have a room in option, won't let me nap at his bedside.

We are going to do 4x a day feed on cues when he's awake, i told them when they get me to 6x a day nursing on demand, i'd consider letting them do bottles for the other 2 mouth feeds, just to have them say he can eat all feeds by mouth. (should speed it up?)

But the main key, is even if he eats on demand for all feeds, he may or may not gain weight, we won't know until we try.

He doesn't seem to HAVE an issue nursing, but we'll see. They actually said based on my milk production, they really don't want him nursing more then 15-20 minutes per feed.. the only way they'd supplement any additional feed/milk after he eats is if he nurses for less then 10 minutes.

We'll supplement my own milk after feeds before we'd do fortifiers though. We just have to figure out what he needs to grow. He has to figure out how to eat first. So far, so good. He nursed twice tonight well. 

We'll see if he gained any weight or if he lost more, they expected him to lose a little before gaining some back after his pic lines and IV's were removed - they just don't want to see him drop a ton of weight over the next few days.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I read this quickly earlier and thought he was already having gain problems but you're just thinking ahead, right? I hope it doesn't even come to this.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Sep. 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

How about ask since he is in the NICU that they use human milk fortifier by Prolacta, its made with human milk so WAY less risk of NEC...I dont even need to go there about NEC I am sure.  Use your milk mixed with Prolacta to raise calories.  You can do that in an SNS too!

Have they tried every 2 hours feeds instead of 3? Yes I know they like 3 hour feeds but BM is digested in about 90 minutes so baby could be getting more overall daily if they let him eat smaller amounts more often.  JUST to see if it works

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)