Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it too late?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM
  • 13 Replies
Is it too late for me to breastfeed my 13mo son? He was breastfeed only a few times as a baby because he always had trouble latching(I now know it was because of a lip/tongue tie)
I would really like to breastfeed him still because I was so crushed that he couldn't nurse.

I just recently had a baby, she's 3 1/2 weeks and also has ties. Their app is Thursday to get them revised. I don't pump as much as I should be either. Maybe only about 4 times a day. But I also take fenugreek. 12 capsules at 750mg per.

She's still very interested in trying she was nursed the whole first week and lost a lot of weight so I switched to formula until I could get the ties revised. Well my milk is there but I obviously don't get a lot given I pump so little. I do 20 minutes at the pump. And power pump once a week.
So is it possible to get him to latch at all since he's been bottle fed for so long?
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM
More than likely he's forgotten how, but it wouldn't hurt to try. If you will use an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) with formula for your younger baby, it will help your milk come in faster. See the article called "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com for information and illustrations about how to do this. What kind of pump are you using? The galactagogues work best with more frequent removal of milk, whether by pumping or baby suckling.
gdiamante
by Gina on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Quoting RyanSkylar8: Is it too late for me to breastfeed my 13mo son? He was breastfeed only a few times as a baby because he always had trouble latching(I now know it was because of a lip/tongue tie) I would really like to breastfeed him still because I was so crushed that he couldn't nurse.
The normal wisdom is that if you have a live baby and at least one breast, it's never too late. 
I just recently had a baby, she's 3 1/2 weeks and also has ties. Their app is Thursday to get them revised. I don't pump as much as I should be either. Maybe only about 4 times a day.
Gotta up that. Every two hours. This is important.
But I also take fenugreek. 12 capsules at 750mg per. She's still very interested in trying she was nursed the whole first week
OK, good.
and lost a lot of weight
They're supposed to lose a lot of weight in week one. 10-12% depending on birth method. You may have been in better shape than you realized thoguht the ties should still be fixed. And increase the pumping.
so I switched to formula until I could get the ties revised. Well my milk is there but I obviously don't get a lot given I pump so little. I do 20 minutes at the pump. And power pump once a week. So is it possible to get him to latch at all since he's been bottle fed for so long?
The 13 month old?  Depends on whether he's willing to latch. Offer. If he's willing to latch, done. If he's not it'sOK. I'd really focus mor on the newborn. Toddlers have this habit of always wanting to do what the baby does.. and in this case it may just be nursing. If he doesn't, no feeling bad. NOT YOUR FAULT.. it's the fault of your alleged medical professionals.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM
She was supposed to lose weight the first week. What was her birth weight and lowest weight after birth? Have you seen an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant)?
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM
You can definitely try! We know of older babies getting to the breast at an older age than yours.
RyanSkylar8
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM
I saw one in the hospital and I have one I can go to about 10 minutes from my home.

Quoting MusherMaggie: She was supposed to lose weight the first week. What was her birth weight and lowest weight after birth? Have you seen an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant)?
RyanSkylar8
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 5:01 PM
She make terrible clicking sounds at breast and bottle. She made my nipples bleed bad.

Quoting MusherMaggie: More than likely he's forgotten how, but it wouldn't hurt to try. If you will use an SNS (Supplemental Nursing System) with formula for your younger baby, it will help your milk come in faster. See the article called "Getting Baby Back to Breast" on Kellymom.com for information and illustrations about how to do this. What kind of pump are you using? The galactagogues work best with more frequent removal of milk, whether by pumping or baby suckling.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 24, 2014 at 5:37 PM
The clicking and damaged nipples are an indication that your baby has a tongue tie. Go to the FAQ/resources sticky post at the top of the group and look for the link to the post titled lip and tongue tie resources for information on who can help with revision.
RyanSkylar8
by on Sep. 24, 2014 at 6:52 PM
We are going tomorrow morning actually to hopefully get it fixed. And she has both a lip and tongue tie. Not sure about my boy though. I know he for sure had a lip tie.

Quoting aehanrahan: The clicking and damaged nipples are an indication that your baby has a tongue tie. Go to the FAQ/resources sticky post at the top of the group and look for the link to the post titled lip and tongue tie resources for information on who can help with revision.
RyanSkylar8
by on Sep. 25, 2014 at 3:55 PM
They said no lip or tongue tie and I know they're definitely wrong. I am so upset. They're the only place that takes my insurance

Quoting aehanrahan: The clicking and damaged nipples are an indication that your baby has a tongue tie. Go to the FAQ/resources sticky post at the top of the group and look for the link to the post titled lip and tongue tie resources for information on who can help with revision.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Sep. 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM
You need someone who is knowledgeable about posterior tongue ties to properly assess and revise the ties.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)