Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New And have a few questions?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:34 AM
  • 17 Replies

Hi my name Katie im 21 ill be 22 Jan 20th. I have a 20 month old old same Daniel that I bottle fed and I am 23 weeks and 2 days pregnant with another little boy. I am kindof thinking of breast feeding one because it a better bond 2 because it cheaper. I bottle fed my first son and Oh man it was really exspensive I did get WIC but I still had to buy alot of formula my son ate alot. One of the reason im thinking of breast feeding is because me and my husband are low on money were going threw a hard time right now and who know how long it going to last. I just want to know how hard is it to breast feed? How many hours do you feed the baby? What can you do and not do when your breast feeding.  I dont know someone give me adivce about this please I dont know what to do thank you.

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 12:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:11 AM
Hi! Good for you for looking into things ahead of time. Read posts here and on Kellymom.com. If you can, two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you--meetings are free. Education is key; most medical professionals know little or nothing about breastfeeding, what's normal or how to solve any problems that may arise. Google "Find an IBCLC" (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant); this professional has done hundreds of hours of study and practice in human lactation.

Also, look at the section on lip and tongue ties in our resources sticky. Ties are responsible for probably 90% of the problems with breastfeeding and are easily corrected.

Breastfeeding is actually pretty easy. You simply nurse every time the baby wiggles. You don't time feedings. You nurse as often and as long as your baby wants. Diaper count tells you what the baby is getting. The first week after birth, you want one diaper on day one, two on day two, etc. until you reach 6-8 every 24 hours. By the middle of the first week you should see at least two quarter sized poops each day. Anything bigger than a quarter or extra wet counts as two diapers.

Co-sleep at night; baby can share your bed, or you can side-car the crib to your bed so your baby has his own space but is in easy reach for night nursings.

Breastmilk should be your baby's main and major source of calories through the first year. When your baby can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, simply offer small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing. It doesn't have to be every meal or even every day at first. Spoon feeding and purees are not necessary. Don't worry if your baby is not interested in solids until later; they are not nutritionally necessary nor well digested until baby is a year or so old.

Check in often, and ask anything that comes to mind! :-)
LucidDreamer90
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:36 AM
Breastfeeding is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I have done both, yes formula is expensive and breastfeeding is much healthier. But, here are all the down sides

It hurts, bad. At first it is uncomfortable and painful. It took weeks for my breast to become accustomed to it.

You have zero freedom. Unless you are able to pump one oz of milk for every hour you are gone your stuck with baby until your done breastfeeding. One oz doesn't sounds like much, but it is and it takes a long time to build up a back stock. I have none. I have to pump days in advanced before doing anything.

Your baby will most likely wake up multiple times a night till they are done.

You can't drink.

Baby eats 6-8 times a day for about half an hour? Depending on your flow and your maximum storage space? Lol my lo eats ever 2 or 3 hours for about 15 to 20 minutes. My max capacity is 6oz on both sides though. But it takes a full night of uninterrupted sleep for that to happen.

But, there is a lot of good that comes from breastfeeding too. Breast is best after all. There are amazing benefits for your child when breastfeeding.

I almost gave up so many times. If it wasn't for my SO I would have. You just need the right support for the first few weeks and you will get it. Good luck mama!

lizziegrl412
by Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:53 AM
I found breastfeeding to be simple and a great bonding time with both my kids. I did not have trouble with sore nipples. That usually indicates an incorrect latch and there are lactation consultants that can help if you have trouble. Basically you feed them whenever they act hungry, same as bottles. Breast milk is so good for your baby. They get your immunities in your milk.This helps them to get sick less often or for less time if they do get sick. A nurse or lactation consultant at the hospital can help you with latching baby on and anything else nursing related. There are some stories that make breastfeeding sound horribly painful and miserable, which I'm sure that can happen. But I thought it was so easy and natural. It was the right choice for me. I strongly recommend reading The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. It's very helpful and informative. I still reference it now and my youngest is a toddler. As for what you can't do... You can eat what you want but you have to wait a while after drinking alcohol. Basically until you are sober and it's been 1-2 hours after one drink. Pumping so you have a stored supply of milk is good if you plan to have alcohol or be away from baby. Most medications are compatible with breastfeeding. Kellymom.com is a great resource for what meds are safe and for general breastfeeding info. Good luck and I hope you have an amazing birth. :) And feel free to message me if you have any questions or just want to talk to a mama who has nursed two babies. =)
polkaspots
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:56 AM
Congrats.
Basics are you can't get drunk, bind your breasts, consume lots of mint, stay away from your newborn for hours, skip feedings.
Basically when baby is born you nurse when they're hungry. You make sure you're changing a diaper every few hours.
That's pretty much it. Don't pump for a while. Wait until your supply starts to regulate or you need the milk. Then pump once or less a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 8:26 AM
[
Quoting LucidDreamer90: Breastfeeding is the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. I have done both, yes formula is expensive and breastfeeding is much healthier. But, here are all the down sides

It hurts, bad. At first it is uncomfortable and painful. It took weeks for my breast to become accustomed to it.

You have zero freedom. Unless you are able to pump one oz of milk for every hour you are gone your stuck with baby until your done breastfeeding. One oz doesn't sounds like much, but it is and it takes a long time to build up a back stock. I have none. I have to pump days in advanced before doing anything.

Your baby will most likely wake up multiple times a night till they are done.

You can't drink.

Baby eats 6-8 times a day for about half an hour? Depending on your flow and your maximum storage space? Lol my lo eats ever 2 or 3 hours for about 15 to 20 minutes. My max capacity is 6oz on both sides though. But it takes a full night of uninterrupted sleep for that to happen.

But, there is a lot of good that comes from breastfeeding too. Breast is best after all. There are amazing benefits for your child when breastfeeding.

Let's clear up some misconceptions. Breastfeeding should not hurt. If it does, correct the latch and check for lip or tongue ties.

You don't have to wait overnight for your breasts to refill. Breasts are factories or faucets rather than storage units. Milk is being made while baby is suckling. Babies nurse at varying rates depending on hunger, thirst and growth spurts. Night feeding is normal and prorection against SIDS. Milk made at night actually aids sleep by helping them go back to sleep faster.

You have as much freedom as you want. Breastfed babies are portable, nursing can be done in public discretely. It is legal to nurse anywhere it is legal for you to be. If you have to return to work or school, pumping is pretty easy for most women with the right pump.

You can drink, also take most medications, including antidepressants if needed. Very little alcohol or medication passes into breastmilk. Safe to drive, safe to nurse.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

loveyourenemy
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 8:57 AM
It's not easy in the beginning. If you know it won't be then you'll probably have an easier time. But, the benefits are worth the trouble.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 15, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Welcome, Katie!

Quoting Mommyof21315:

I just want to know how hard is it to breast feed?

Hmm. Well, I have a teenager now. I'd rather have a breastfeeding baby even though I did not like breastfeeding when I was doing it. Does that give you an idea?

PARENTING is hard. Parenting will take up every moment of your time. Breastfeeding is just a part of a series of challenges that come when you have a baby.

How many hours do you feed the baby?

Some babies, 24/7 for weeks. Since you already have a child, get a sling. You can pop baby in there at the breast and "forget" him.

What can you do and not do when your breast feeding.

Well, I don't particularly recommend a life of crime or daredevil stunts for a breastfeeding mom. Or ANY mom. But everything else is on the table. What you likely won't do (and this is a function of having two children) is SLEEP. Be ready to go into sheer survival mode. That which isn't needed for breathing isn't needed at all for a while.

I dont know someone give me adivce about this please I dont know what to do thank you.

Hie thee to the bookstore TODAY. Get a copy of "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and read it through. Feed your head with knowledge. Having that is more important than having a room full of baby gear. Indeed, the mom who doesn't have knowledge but every infant doodad on the planet is LESS prepared than the mom who borths with nothing more than a packed brain and a car seat. **smile**

Alejandro1234
by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 8:59 AM
how can í make myself go into labor please give me advice that will make it happen that thanks
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM
I'm breastfeeding my fifth baby. I sure wouldn't say it's the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but it's a commitment. Actually a better word is INVESTMENT. There's a learning curve with each baby and some discomfort while you work out the links but PAIN is an indication that something is wrong.

My youngest is 8 weeks old and I've been able to leave her from 2-4 hours every Saturday and Sunday since she was 3 weeks old and half of the time she didn't even need a bottle. As far as "freedom", it doesn't get any easier than breastfeeding because you never have to pack anything for the baby to eat! If you're out somewhere and end up there longer than you planned there is no panic about getting home because you didn't have enough formula with you. You're always ready to roll. If you need to go somewhere, nurse the baby and you've got two hours to get back. If you're going to be gone for say, 4 hours, then you can have two little ounces pumped for the caregiver to give after you've been gone 2 hours; the baby will be fine until you get back and nurse again. OR baby won't need a bottle at all. Babies sleep 4 hours all the time without starving. :-)

My dd is waking sometimes just once during the night and other nights 4 times but she only nurses for 10 minutes and she's back out.

You CAN drink. Most moms can eat or drink anything they want with no effect on the baby. I drink coffee and I'll have a beer once in a while. Alcohol is quickly metabolize. If you're not buzzed you can nurse. Your milk isn't loaded with alcohol anymore than your tears.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:08 AM
I think you posted your question in the wrong group. ;-) but I'll tell you if there's a sure fire way to put yourself in labor than people wouldn't have to go to the hospital for (often) long, expensive, (often) failed inductions. Forcing nature's hand has a way of backfiring. Good luck to you though and hope to see you back soon in breastfeeding moms!!!

Quoting Alejandro1234: how can í make myself go into labor please give me advice that will make it happen that thanks
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)