Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Should I make her nurse more?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM
  • 19 Replies

Ok sorry I keep bringing up my pumping supply. I did the mothers milk tea and it really helped but I found it hard to keep up with. I was hoping that I could just use it to boost my supply again after being sick and it would go back to the way it was but apparently not.

I know that nursing is the best way to kick up supply but my new DD is completely opposite from my 1st DD in ways of nursing. My 1st was latched to me all the time, she never wanted a passie or thumb just me to suck on. She reversed cycled during the day even so pumping was never an issue for her, not once. My new DD only cares to nurse to eat, maybe 5-10 mins max and she is good and not interested anymore. She does not comfort nurse at all. She likes her thumb and occasional passie (which I am trying to push to keep her from her thumb). I nurse before I leave for work around 6:15 then again when I pick her up around 5:15/5:30 ish. The rest of the night she just likes to relax and sleep. I may nurse her again one time before bed but sometimes not as she goes to sleep around 9. She only wakes once or twice at night, quick 5 min feed and back asleep. Should I try to get her to feed more?

Also I started fenugreek yesterday so I will see how that goes, drinking water and eating oatmeal when I can. I got 7oz today at work and that is with going back and forth also hand expressing. She eats 9oz a day for sure and some days 12 if I am late. My freezer stash is almost gone and it is freaking me out!

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:24 PM
I would offer the breast rather than the pacifier unless you are driving. At home, if she goes for the thumb, offer the breast. Remind me how old she is? It could be that she has become very efficient at nursing and is pulling down plenty in that 5-10 minutes.does she have lip or tongue ties? How is her 24 hour.diaper count?
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yes nurse more. And pump EVERY morning while nursing, seven days a week. Skip shoering before you skip this. 

5-10 inutes is an EXCELLENT nursing session and your output sounds pretty normal. I din't think you'll ever get more in an individual session, jsut need to add more sessions. Do it on your days off; all AM feeds are tandemed with the pump. I found this imperative.

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Oh sorry should have put that, she is 3 months on Friday. Ok I will start doing that, usually as soon as she goes for the hands I nurse but sometimes she wants them after she even eats to sleep with. The only time she really like the passie is after she is fed and put down in her crib to sleep, she just does a few sucks passes out and then it falls out. She has been nursing like this from birth, and I know I make plenty for her to nurse just stressing about pump supply for when I work. My 45 min commute doesn't help either. No ties and haven't had any pain with her or latching issues what-so-ever unlike with DD1. She basically poops with every feed so LOTS!

Quoting MusherMaggie: I would offer the breast rather than the pacifier unless you are driving. At home, if she goes for the thumb, offer the breast. Remind me how old she is? It could be that she has become very efficient at nursing and is pulling down plenty in that 5-10 minutes.does she have lip or tongue ties? How is her 24 hour.diaper count?

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Thank you I will try this too, I had started doing it before the tea helped bump me back up but I only got an ounce. I guess better than nothing to add to it. I'll admit I forget about pumping as soon as I am home, by then I have my 3 year old clinging to me and trying to make dinner and keep up with the house. I will find time now and make sure I do it on weekends too.

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes nurse more. And pump EVERY morning while nursing, seven days a week. Skip shoering before you skip this. 

5-10 inutes is an EXCELLENT nursing session and your output sounds pretty normal. I din't think you'll ever get more in an individual session, jsut need to add more sessions. Do it on your days off; all AM feeds are tandemed with the pump. I found this imperative.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you're fine, then. Do add the morning pumping session every day.
mss119
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 3:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I had fantastic results from fenugreek with my last nursling! I think with that, and adding a pumping session, you should be golden.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Sounds like you need to offer the breast more...9 oz in that amount of time your LO still needs WAY more to eat.  Theres just very little chance shes getting enough milk a day.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Oct. 15, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Forget pumping in the evenings.  When you get home from work offer the breast, around dinner offer the breast and before bed offer the breast.  Sounds like baby isnt demanding the way she should

Quoting Careeka22:

Thank you I will try this too, I had started doing it before the tea helped bump me back up but I only got an ounce. I guess better than nothing to add to it. I'll admit I forget about pumping as soon as I am home, by then I have my 3 year old clinging to me and trying to make dinner and keep up with the house. I will find time now and make sure I do it on weekends too.

Quoting gdiamante:

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:22 PM
Ok good bc I don't have much at night. That is the pattern I did tonight but she didn't really seem interested in the bed time feeding. She is a very laid back baby, almost never cries, always smiling and a great sleeper. The only thing that seemed wierd to me is she gained a ton the 1st month then not so much the 2nd. She was 8.85 at birth, dropped to 7.12 in the hospital and they forced 2 formula feeds to let her go home. Se never had that junk again and was 11.3 at 5 weeks. Her 1st weight at 9 weeeks was only 11.11 so I demanded a re-weigh and I nursed her an it went up to 12.2. She dropped from 85th percent to just below 50. But her height and head are in the 97th percent. Dr. Was not concerned at all but I did find it strange. But she overproduces diapers so I never worried.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Forget pumping in the evenings.  When you get home from work offer the breast, around dinner offer the breast and before bed offer the breast.  Sounds like baby isnt demanding the way she should

Quoting Careeka22:

Quoting gdiamante:

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 11:09 PM
She's ahead of the game weight-wise. I would take a nursing holiday this weekend; stay in bed with her and nurse at every wiggle. Can you pump with her on one side and the pump on the other?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)