Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do I need to supplement? *Update*

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:51 AM
  • 27 Replies
Okay, so DS was born Aug. 15th. He was 7 lbs 12 oz. He had jaundice and had to be admitted to be under the light. I stayed with him the whole time. That was at 3 days old and he had dropped to 6 lbs 9 oz. We were in and out of the doctors office checking his bilirubin levels and weight for 2 weeks. At 3 weeks old he was 7 lbs 15 oz. Now on the 30th (almost 11 weeks) he was 8 lbs 7 oz. Hes a happy baby, smiles a lot. Has lots of awake time. Has 10 to 15 wet diapers. Poops every other day. Very wiggly active kid. He eats every 2-3 hours. The last couple days he's been on the breast all day. But I think that's nursing to go to sleep and then his sister wakes him. And the sleep cycle starts again. But he normally eats for about 20-30 min. Has about an hour of awake time. Then nurses a little to fall asleep. And sleeps about 2 hours. Then it starts again. Even at night. The doctor says he's not gaining enough. Says my milk may not have enough calories. I do pump sometimez after he eats And daddy will get to occasionally give him a bottle. Not everyday.

So do I need to give him formula? Should I try to pump more?

11/12/14- so we had our appt at a feeding clinic today. I met with a nurse specialized in infant feeding, a registered dietician, and developmental therapist. All at the same time. So, they weighed and measured him. And the played with him some while they all fired questions at me. "How often does he eat?""How long does he eat?""How is his suck?""How often do you pump?""How much do you get?""How many wet/poppy diapers?" There were a lot more. Then then watched him nurse.

So the bottom line is that he's doing great. They were worried because his growth had plateaued, but now it seems to be on track. Our Dr had told us to do 2 oz of bm with 2 oz of formula twice a day. The dietician said that he's gaining fine but we want him to catch up. So we're doing 3 oz of bm with 1 1/2 tsp of formula twice a day. So its not nearly as much as the doc wanted. Which makes me happy. Less formula and more bm is fantastic. They said he's developing fine, his latch looks great. And I really seem to know what I'm doing.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:16 AM
Diaper count is perfect. Behavior is normal, growth spurt will cause them to nurse more. Were they using the same scale when weighing him? They want to see an average of 5-7 Oz a week. So from 3-10 weeks (7 weeks) he has gained 8 oz?
Is that correct?

starshine_17_02
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:41 AM
Yeah I guess that's correct. But he did grow an inch and a half since birth. It was a different scale. It was digital and the usual one is a slide scale. But that could only account for a few ounces right? By what they want head seriously underweight? According to that he should be over 10 lbs?
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:52 AM

A different scale can make a HUGE difference... we've seen as much as a full pound. Make sure you're only using one scale.

polkaspots
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:54 AM
He has gained almost two pounds. That is slow gain, but I wouldn't supplement. I would just continue to keep track of diapers and nurse often.
Pumping once or twice a day would help boost your supply faster than his nursing alone and might help him start to gain a little quicker.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:56 AM
A pound a month from lowest weight. I would say two and a half pounds. He's only a little lower than that.

Quoting starshine_17_02: Yeah I guess that's correct. But he did grow an inch and a half since birth. It was a different scale. It was digital and the usual one is a slide scale. But that could only account for a few ounces right? By what they want head seriously underweight? According to that he should be over 10 lbs?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:05 AM

His lowest weight was 6/9. At three months old he should be at least 9/9.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:21 AM
How's his latch? Is it wide, deep and painless?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:43 AM
I'm wondering if he has lip or tongue ties that are causing him to burn more calories than he's taking in. Can you take a picture of his mouth with the top lip turned up and one with it open, like when he's crying? We can check for ties.
starshine_17_02
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:02 AM
His latch is great. Very wide. No pain at all. I'll try to get a picture today.
kajira
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:07 AM

A lbs a month is about average, if your baby gains a little less, but is healthy, I would just closely monitor him.

Ways you can avoid burning so many calories is 1. offer the breast instead of a pacifier. Nurse him to sleep, let him sleep and latch - he'll eat in his sleep, taking in additional calories.

2. Don't let him cry. That expends calories.

3. Make sure hes warm... being kind of cold also burns additional calories.

Quoting starshine_17_02: His latch is great. Very wide. No pain at all. I'll try to get a picture today.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)