• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Uneven pumpage?

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM
  • 5 Replies

I started to pump my milk due to my husband wanting to help feed our newest but I am having uneven amounts per breast. This morning I pumped a whole 5oz out of my left and only 2 1/2 out of my right. I have started drinking Mothers Milk Tea, too, because I noticed my supply slightly dropping. Is pumping uneven amounts normal? Is there anything I can do to make it even??

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Everyone has a super side and a wimpier side. It's like being right handed. That said, the average expectation for pumping for a skipped feeding is .5-2 oz COMBINED both breasts and you pumped more than that on your lower side. 7 ounces is almost a third of baby's daily need! Remember when dad helps with a bottle that you have to pump anyway to protect your supply. Bottles no bigger than 2 or 3 ounces, baby upright and bottle parallel to floor, stopping to burp after every ounce.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM
Question: why do you think your supply is dropping?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 12:45 PM
You already have more than enough. Stop the tea; you'll create oversupply problems which you do not want. No bottles if you are present. If your baby is getting a bottle, you'll have to be somewhere at the same time pumping. Let dad rock, read, sing, play, bathe and change diapers; she'll be able to interact more with him during those activities.

Normal pump output for a missed feeding is .5-2 ounces from both breasts combined. Babies only need 1-1.25 ounces per hour of separation, fed in 2-3 ounce portions every 2-3 hours. Try to wait until she is six weeks old for bottles to avoid nipple confusion and give her a chance to regulate your supply. Nurse as much as she wants for as long as she wants. She'll go through growth spurts periodically and increase her frequency, but that's normal. It's also normal to produce more on one side than the other; it's like being right or left handed.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Pumping even would be weird, actually. Uneven is 100% normal. Like being right or left handed. Nothing to do here.

Now, sincere unsolicited advice: Feeding is the least useful and least bonding thing your husband can do. Diapering and bathing will do you all far better. Or he can do the housework if he's wanting to help you... anything to keep you off your feet, y'know? If you are present, nurse. It's supply protection. It may not seem like you need to protect anything with that pump output but the output will drop over time. Every bottle given in place of nursing can make supply tank that much faster.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM
My husband is more useful. He does laundry, dishes, etc. if he fed baby I would have to pump. Kinda pointless to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)