Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about my 5 month old

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM
  • 9 Replies
Ok my almost 5 month old (she will be 5 months next week) still eats during the day every three hours (had her tongue clipped 4 weeks ago but did not do the lip yet), at night she was going about 7-10 hours between feeding (no bashing I started cereal about 3 weeks ago) she would only sleep in the swing (the night time feeding is around 9:30) but since Oct. 29th she has started to get up around 3 to eat go back to sleep and get up around 7. The cereal seemed to help her sleep a little better (she gets about 2 tablespoons at night with breastmilk) but now she is getting up at night again. I put her in the crib and if she cries more than 4 times in an hour I will put her in the swing, she shares a room with her 2 1/2 year old sister so I can't let her cry to long. Her nose did start to run today (her nose is always stuffy ENT. put a camera up her nose and didn't find anything out of the ordinary so I don't know if she is getting up because of her nose or if she is really is hungry. When she nurses it is less than 10 minutes on each side in the middle of the night during the day it is more than 10 minutes on each side. Her night time feeding before bed is 15 minutes in both sides. Is it normal for her to still get up at night and eat every three hours during the day? My oldest at 4 months when she got cereal slept 7-8 hours every night from 4 months on but my youngest is complete opposite.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 1:53 PM
She should not really be getting solids yet, particularly cereal. The American Academy of Pediatrics no longer recommends it, though many pediatricians are not up to date on this.

The best thing you can do is encourage her to nurse more during the day. Waking at night is normal through the first year and beyond, and is a protection against SIDS. Breastmilk should be her main and major source of calories through the first year. When she is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in her own mouth, let her have small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session. Before then, the gut is not fully closed and can allow allergenic molecules to pass into her bloodstream. The best thing you can do is let her nurse as often and as long as she wants.

All babies are different. However, open gut lasts until six months with all of them. Cereal, which is actually pretty hard to digest until closer to a year, can contribute to night waking. And yes, it is normal for them to eat every three hours or less during the day and still wake at night. She may increase frequency as she heads into the next growth spurt; this, too, is normal and how she brings your supply up to her next level of need.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

lost2013
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:05 PM
If it doesn't help baby sleep cereal than how did my older DD at 4 months woke up 2-3 times a night and on her third day of cereal sleep through the night 7-8 hours constantly after getting cereal? My DDs doctor didn't tell me to start cereal I did it on my own I am just raising my kids the same.

Quoting MusherMaggie: She should not really be getting solids yet, particularly cereal. The American Academy of Pediatrics no longer recommends it, though many pediatricians are not up to date on this.

The best thing you can do is encourage her to nurse more during the day. Waking at night is normal through the first year and beyond, and is a protection against SIDS. Breastmilk should be her main and major source of calories through the first year. When she is a minimum of six months old, can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in her own mouth, let her have small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session. Before then, the gut is not fully closed and can allow allergenic molecules to pass into her bloodstream. The best thing you can do is let her nurse as often and as long as she wants.

All babies are different. However, open gut lasts until six months with all of them. Cereal, which is actually pretty hard to digest until closer to a year, can contribute to night waking. And yes, it is normal for them to eat every three hours or less during the day and still wake at night. She may increase frequency as she heads into the next growth spurt; this, too, is normal and how she brings your supply up to her next level of need.
lost2013
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:08 PM
One other question I have how is it the American Peds. say 2 years ago feed cereal at 4 months than 2 years later say no 6 months. Why can't they make up their minds?

Quoting lost2013: If it doesn't help baby sleep cereal than how did my older DD at 4 months woke up 2-3 times a night and on her third day of cereal sleep through the night 7-8 hours constantly after getting cereal? My DDs doctor didn't tell me to start cereal I did it on my own I am just raising my kids the same.

Quoting MusherMaggie: She should not really be getting solids yet, particularly cereal. The American Academy of Pediatrics no longer recommends it, though many pediatricians are not up to date on this.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:13 PM
As more research is done, recommendations change. As I mentioned earlier, all babies are different; most likely your first daughter was developmentally ready to sleep through the night. Kellymom.com has good, research based information on baby-led solids and sleeping through the night. The author, Kelly Bonyata, is an IBCLC (Internationally Board Certified Lactation Consultant).
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM

You already got the information about solids before 6 months so I won't go there again. I just say that every baby is different. She may have started waking at night again due to a growth spurt. I would treat it as such until you know differently. If you ignore the demands during a growth spurt your supply will suffer according to her demand and its a hard downhill path to climb out of. 

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:40 PM

My kids have all been entirely different as to how often they nursed at night, during the day, how long a nursing session was, and when they slept through the night.  :)  It's based on personality and when baby's body is ready.

Some nursed only 5 minutes, some on both sides, some one one side.  Some nursed almost 45 minutes a session.  My almost 9 year old JUST started sleeping throug the night!  :D  My 2 year old wakes at least once every night.  My 15 month old is still up to nurse about 2-4 times every night

Sounds like baby is normal.  But like mentioned, I would seriously look into quitting the cereal.  Do some more research on it.  It's crazy how much we can learn and change between each child.  (I have six)

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM
Yes, at 5 months it's completely normal to be waking thorough the night and nursing every 3 hours all day and night. It was pure luck she was ever sleeping more than 5 straight hours. Also super lucky your first was sleeping like that so early. I agree your first wasn't sleeping because of cereal but because she was ready. As adults we know it's a bad idea to eat a lot before bedtime so I'm not sure how it ever started that people thought to try and overfill a baby at bedtime. My third baby hit 5 hour stretches at 8 months while my other 3 were ar I understand 18 months, LOTS of solids by that point and no better sleeping. Now my 5th baby here has slept quite a few 6-7 hour stretched already from 3 weeks and I know that's pure miracle. Now she's almost 3 months and waking more, but I fondly remember those nights she slept better. :-/
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Quoting lost2013: If it doesn't help baby sleep cereal than how did my older DD at 4 months woke up 2-3 times a night and on her third day of cereal sleep through the night 7-8 hours constantly after getting cereal?
Because by that night she was ready. It wasn't the cereal. indeed, tracking over 15 years in groups like these (and we're talking thousands of babies), whenever someone asks why a previously sleeping baby stopped sleeping, when we asked the question: Did you start solids? The answer was ALWAYS yes and the instant the cereal was stopped, the sleeping pattern was restored. Like magic.
Nothing, absolutely nothing you do can make a baby sleep more if they're not ready to. They have to do that on their own. You could never have cracked open a box of cereal, that baby still would have slept.
Cereal can constipate, which is a really tough problem to deal with.
My DDs doctor didn't tell me to start cereal I did it on my own I am just raising my kids the same.
Your five month old's pattern is quite normal. In fact, it's more normal for them to wake at night than to sleep the long periods you described. I worry when they sleep that long. Frequent waking is SIDS defense.
ALWAYS in year one assume she's hungry and feed her. Always. She's not really supposed to sleep long stretches yet - 5 hours is "sleeping through the night" for an infant and often isn't acheived till the first birthday. 
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Because we're always learning new things. And actually, the six month recommendation is more than 15 years old; it's what I was given when I was pregnant with my now-teenaged son.

Something I learned from my mom: Whenever there's a new baby, FORGET you ever had one before. It's a new game every time and nothing you learned before will apply this time around. (Think of it... doctors once recommended smoking for weight loss!)

Quoting lost2013: One other question I have how is it the American Peds. say 2 years ago feed cereal at 4 months than 2 years later say no 6 months. Why can't they make up their minds?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)