Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night time feedings

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM
  • 15 Replies
My dd is 10 months now and wakes every 3-4 hrs to nurse. I am ready to wean her off night time feedings. Have you found it easier to stretch time between feedings or stop cold turkey.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:45 PM

This is about the time that I start to lose my supply with all of my babies because I night weaned them. I would also get the return of my period (I don't know if that has happened to you, yet) and thus my extremely fertile fertility. With my newest I am going to go ahead and stick with the night feedings up to 1 year to help keep my supply up. 

Otherwise I have heard a lot of good things about the book "The No Cry Sleep Solution".

greenlove2013
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Your baby obviously still needs it. Why wean her?
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this
She should not be night weaned until she is at least one year old. Until then, breastmilk should be her main and major source of calories. Mine were still nursing every 2-3 hours during the night at that age, but we co-slept so it wasn't a big deal.

Sleeping through the night happens when they are developmentally ready to do so. When the time is right, see DrJayGordon.com for a gentle method. Going cold turkey is not recommended; it can put you at risk for mastitis.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Totally with you on the 'ready to wean' thing.  Unfortunately, baby is NOT!  :)  Unless you want to start giving bottles at night so you don't have to nurse, you will have to keep going for a while yet. 

I night wean between 1 and 2 years.  It has really depended on a lot of things.  Some children did not/were not ready and it took closer to two year.  I REALLY want to night wean my 16 month old.  With six kids, I am up SO often during the night.  At least 4 times, and on a bad night, I can be up ten or more times.  Talk about not much sleep.  :)  While night weaning will most likely make her wake less (IMO) it will not make her sleep through the night.  But, the other plus, is my husband can get up with her if she isn't nursing.  :)  Ha ha.

Anyway, hang in there.  Keep nursing.  Don't even think about weaning for a few more months at least.

SuckIt69
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM
My DS is 14 months and still wakes every 2-4 hours at night to nurse.

When I'm super exhausted, DH will get up with him and give him a bottle so I can sleep a little more.

My first two self night weaned at 7-9 months.

I'm hanging in there. Lol

Good luck!
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:48 PM
1 mom liked this
It's not recommended until after a year. Just so you know you can night wean and baby still wouldn't sleep through the night. My 2 year old night weaned himself and still wakes.
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Never do cold turkey for anything. Google "Changing the sleep pattern in the family bed" by Dr. Jay Gordon. He doesn't recommend using the method till one year,. and it will not be fast. Expect it to take a few weeks. And even then, baby may (probably will) wake at night. Weaning and sleeping are separate issues.

cwolf
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM
If i thought she was hungry i wouldn't be doing it. She wakes and will not go back to sleep until I nurse her, but she sucks 5 times and goes back to sleep. Just trying to break the habit of her needing me to go back to sleep.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting cwolf: If i thought she was hungry i wouldn't be doing it. She wakes and will not go back to sleep until I nurse her, but she sucks 5 times and goes back to sleep. Just trying to break the habit of her needing me to go back to sleep.

It's not a habit at this stage, it's a need. It will go away over time. Kind of like when older children or adults need a drink at night.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:58 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not a habit, it's a normal biological function.  All of my kids nursed to sleep, and as they got older they all stopped when they were ready.

Quoting cwolf: If i thought she was hungry i wouldn't be doing it. She wakes and will not go back to sleep until I nurse her, but she sucks 5 times and goes back to sleep. Just trying to break the habit of her needing me to go back to sleep.

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)