Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low supply in the evenings

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM
  • 16 Replies
Any tips on helping low supply in the afternoon/ evenings? I feel like anything I try to stash I end up using in the evenings after I try to feed her.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM
How old is baby and whats your 24 hour diaper coubt? It's pretty standard to have lower supply in the evening. Some babies can get fussy having to work harder to get it flowing. But the only way to increase supply is to increase demand. Keep putting the baby back on the breast, over and over. Every ounce given in a bottle is an ounce your body doesn't get the order to make.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM
^^^agreed. If you are supplementing at all (even with Breastmilk) you are taking the cue for more milk away from your body. If baby demands more it doesn't necessarily mean you have a low supply it just means baby is trying to tell your body it's about time to start making more. If you're going to supplement you have to make up that missed breast stimulation with a pump.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:10 PM
I agree as well. Low supply in evenings is normal, I always just nurse through it.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:16 PM
Totally normal. Just let her nurse as often and as long as she wants.
Ktlady32
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM
She's 6 weeks old and has plenty of diapers ! She was born at 8.14lbs and is now 12+ so I know I'm doing something right 😜... She is fussy at night and that might be why I think I'm lacking .. She will fuss so bad she won't latch.. I will start making more dates with my pump!! Thank you!
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM
Cluster feeding is nirmsl in the evenings.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

That's very typical behavior for this age.  Not at all indicative of low supply, just baby's way to tell your body to up the ante.  That constant popping on and off is GREAT for your supply.  Giving a bottle at that time is a supply killer.  Only pump in the ams (unless you're away from baby) and no bottles unless you aren't present :D 

Quoting Ktlady32: She's 6 weeks old and has plenty of diapers ! She was born at 8.14lbs and is now 12+ so I know I'm doing something right 😜... She is fussy at night and that might be why I think I'm lacking .. She will fuss so bad she won't latch.. I will start making more dates with my pump!! Thank you!

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:55 PM
Why would you pump more often? That's not necessary at all unless you're away from her. Let her drive your supply, not a pump.

Quoting Ktlady32: She's 6 weeks old and has plenty of diapers ! She was born at 8.14lbs and is now 12+ so I know I'm doing something right 😜... She is fussy at night and that might be why I think I'm lacking .. She will fuss so bad she won't latch.. I will start making more dates with my pump!! Thank you!
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:00 PM
Mama, that's over 3 months of growth in less than 6 weeks! Your supply should be of no question to anyone. I think you're doing a lot better than you think. You probably actually gave oversupply and all day the milk just gushes and baby can just be casual and *drink*. But at night she actually has to *suck* and she's not happy about that. :-)

LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:45 PM
1 mom liked this
I only suggested the pump if you are going to continue those night time bottles. Otherwise baby is all the stimulation you need.

Quoting stepconfused182: Why would you pump more often? That's not necessary at all unless you're away from her. Let her drive your supply, not a pump.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)