• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Milk supply dwindling

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi ladies I'm new here. My son is 5 months old and now we are having problems with milk supply. I have done lactation cookies. Fenugreek, mothers tea. And nothing seems to work. Do any of you ladies have any secrets you want to share? I'm not going to give. I'm going to keep fighting. But I really need some guidance. Thanks in advance.
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:03 PM
Why do you think your supply is low?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Can you fill us in with baby's weight history and 24 hour diaper count? :-)
abanks2013
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:17 PM
My son is currently 16pds and 5 oz. He weighed 10pds and 10 oz when he was born. He has steadily gained weight. With no problems up until this point. I work and I'm normally gone about 8 hours maybe less. I pump at work. I was getting about 10-12oz up until last week. And now I'm only getting about 6 oz.

I pump every 3 hours while I'm working. I really don't have time to pump more. I hope I answered your question. Thank you.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Can you fill us in with baby's weight history and 24 hour diaper count? :-)
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:29 PM
Are you pumping first thing every morning, working or not, before, during or after his first feeding? Is he getting any solids? Using paced bottlefeeding procedure?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:31 PM
So your pump output is what's dwindling, not your supply. What pump are you using? It's pretty typical for pump response to decrease over time and that has nothing do with actual supply. It can be as simple as replacing membranes, to something as annoying as having to pump first thing every single morning, working or not, to maintain pump response and make up for volume you aren't getting at work. For an 8 hour day, baby needs NO MORE than 10 oz.

Quoting abanks2013: My son is currently 16pds and 5 oz. He weighed 10pds and 10 oz when he was born. He has steadily gained weight. With no problems up until this point. I work and I'm normally gone about 8 hours maybe less. I pump at work. I was getting about 10-12oz up until last week. And now I'm only getting about 6 oz.

I pump every 3 hours while I'm working. I really don't have time to pump more. I hope I answered your question. Thank you.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Can you fill us in with baby's weight history and 24 hour diaper count? :-)
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM
He may also reverse cycle; just let him nurse as much as he wants when you're together, even during the night.
polkaspots
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:38 PM
Are you pumping once every morning?
Check your pump parts. Adding in a session every day should make up what you're lacking. What are the bottle sizes?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:39 PM
Also, have you changed the membranes on your pump lately? They can wear out or develop a tear that can affect output.
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 5, 2014 at 4:11 AM

Adding sessions is generally what's needed. If you're not already pumping one side while nursing the other during every AM nursing, seven days a week, time to start.

mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 5, 2014 at 11:47 AM

What they said

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)