• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bed sharing/co-sleeping

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
  • 33 Replies
Night times are starting to get to me. A lot of time awake and by the time 530 comes I just bring him in bed with me. He is almost 4 weeks old and is my third. Never let my other kids in my bed and didn't plan to this time, but he sleeps so well with me! I don't know how to go about it though. Him rolling makes me nervous and all sorts of other things. Anyone have photos of how they co sleep or stories or anything?? Ways to explain it. Thanks!
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissSarah04
by Sarah on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
I bedshare and we have a 2.5 year old who crawls in around midnight. We have a super tight fitting bedrail and the baby sleeps on his side next to me or on his back in the crook of my arm. He is on the outside by the bedrail but is never up against the rail. So it goes Daddy, toddler, mommy, baby. When the toddler is in her bed then it just goes daddy, mommy, baby.
cabrandy03
by Brandy on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:13 PM
What we did was put our bed frame and boxspring in storage so our mattress sat right on the floor(less distance to fall if she rolled). We slept with minimal bedding. Just a thin blanket and a small pillow each. Dh us a heavier sleeper then I am so we mostly kept her between me and the wall.
Wright68
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:20 PM
That's what I was thinking was getting one of those mesh bed rails.

Quoting MissSarah04: I bedshare and we have a 2.5 year old who crawls in around midnight. We have a super tight fitting bedrail and the baby sleeps on his side next to me or on his back in the crook of my arm. He is on the outside by the bedrail but is never up against the rail. So it goes Daddy, toddler, mommy, baby. When the toddler is in her bed then it just goes daddy, mommy, baby.
Wright68
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:21 PM
My husband is a VERY heavy sleeper and doesn't know what goes on around him when he sleeps. So the baby would definitely have to be on the outside!

Quoting cabrandy03: What we did was put our bed frame and boxspring in storage so our mattress sat right on the floor(less distance to fall if she rolled). We slept with minimal bedding. Just a thin blanket and a small pillow each. Dh us a heavier sleeper then I am so we mostly kept her between me and the wall.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:41 PM
I have photos on my computer, I will try and share later :)

a book I love is "three in a bed". I slept with all my kids, all 4. They didn't sleep well without being next to me.

what we do is have the bed up against the wall, I place a rolled up blanket between the wall and bed so there are no cracks and baby sleeps between me and the wall. I nurse side laying.
Wright68
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM
We aren't able to move the bed it will have to stay centered. He does not sleep well without me! We nap together daily during the girls nap time and he always sleeps great!! But he tends to wiggle closer to me and even on his side a little. I think because he is still partially on his side after nursing. My husband also isn't for bed sharing but I am not getting sleep!!! I looks forward to pictures!!!

Quoting Precious333: I have photos on my computer, I will try and share later :)

a book I love is "three in a bed". I slept with all my kids, all 4. They didn't sleep well without being next to me.

what we do is have the bed up against the wall, I place a rolled up blanket between the wall and bed so there are no cracks and baby sleeps between me and the wall. I nurse side laying.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:07 PM
I had a weighted cushion (supposed to mimic mom's pelvic bone) that went between our pillows so DD could sleep between us. When she was really small, she slept in the crook of my arm.
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM
I have an arms reach cosleeper. I love it. I usually nurse side lying in the bed and fall asleep with baby in the crook of my arm, but when I wake I can put them in the sleeper. I also don't have to worry about them rolling off the bed. If they roll they would roll into the sleeper.

http://m.target.com/p/arm-s-reach-mini-arc-co-sleeper-bassinet-natural/-/A-14514621?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=14514621&CPNG=Baby&kpid=14514621&LID=9pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=14514621&kpid=14514621&gclid=CMWOhavL4sECFaLtMgodeTMAjg
Ashley_91
by on Nov. 5, 2014 at 1:15 AM
I sleep with my 3 month old started doing it when she was about 2 months, when her dad had to go out of state for work. I just put a pillow on the other side of her. I nurse her on my side And then just slide her over so there's no blankets close to her when I go to sleep. I am a light sleeper so I can hear her breathing and moving easily. I think it's great, I did a lot of reading on it b4 I started doing it.
HazelBug
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 2:23 AM
I can't sleep without my baby next to me. I need to hear her breathe. My bed is on a box spring but we don't use a frame. I have a crib right next to the bed to slide her on to when I get out of bed to use the restroom or something. I sleep with her head at roughly breast level. I lay on my side facing her with my knees up and my lower arm either straight out in front of me or wraped partially around her. I have a small pillow at my back so I can be comfortable rolled part way on my back. That way if I slept deep and rolled I'd just roll back a little more. I sleep lightly when I breastfeed though so I'm not worried. I also always tell my husband where in the bed she is.

It's funny because I never planned to be a bed sharing mamma. But my firstborn absolutely would not sleep unless he was next to me. I was so clumsy from lack of sleep that I was becoming a danger to my baby. Come close to dropping him? Yup. Smash his head into things as I stumbled from sleep deprivation? Check. Fall asleep on more dangerous surfaces such as the sofa? Check and check. I figured he'd be safer sleeping next to me in bed for a few hours then me trying to care for him in the state I was in.

This time around I have bed shared from the start. I use the cosleeper downstairs for setting her down. It is a safe place to set baby after all. She spends time there while I sip my morning coffee and when I tend to my toddlers needs.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)