Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Latching problems

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM
  • 5 Replies
My 2 month old has been a great nurser but now it's so hard to keep her latched, she will latch and in latch after a few drinks, she has thrush and I'm treating it with oral medicine, I'm frustrated, I will pump milk in a bottle and she drinks great. I'm worried she doesn't want to nurse
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
ilovemykids732
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:56 AM

stop offering the bottle. If the only option she has is to nurse, she will do it!

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:59 AM
1 mom liked this
If you are using liquid Nystatin on the thrush, it won't work. It contains sugar, which feeds the thrush abd makes it worse. Look up thrush on Kellymom.com; all the best remedies and procedures are listed. Gentian Violet (available behind the counter at most pharmacies, just ask) and coconut oil are your best bets. You will have to treat both yourself and your baby. A round of prescription Diflucan (fluconazole) may be a good idea for you.

Offer your milk by dropper, syringe, cup or spoon to break the bottle preference.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM
I would stop the bottle and treat that thrush aggressively. Use gentian violet, probiotics and make sure you sanitize ev everythung. Rinse you nipples with vinegar after nursing and then rinse the vinegar off. Take out sugar and breads until yeast is gone. Yeast is so stubborn, and it can cause frustrations in nursing as you are experiencing. Bottle flow preference won't help either, that is another reason i think quiting the bottle (at least for now) would be good.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM
And cutting out pacifiers while dealing with thrush is also a good idea
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Stop the bottle, you are dealing with bottle preference which makes lazy babies. Use a dropper or syringe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)