Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a cold...

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM
  • 12 Replies
Aside from major hand washing & my bottle of hand sanitizer beibg attached to my hip, can my newborn catch said cold through my milk?
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Not through your milk but just from being close to you. Baby has already been exposed so lots of nursing is the best thing to do to help her immune system af this point
RC.TC.JT3
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Thank you. I have been pumping so he doesn't have to be as close or dad can feed while I rest.

Quoting audmom1218: Not through your milk but just from being close to you. Baby has already been exposed so lots of nursing is the best thing to do to help her immune system af this point
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:03 AM
I continued to nurse all my kids when I had a cold. Not once did the get what I had as babies. However if they got sick I would get what they got. Your milk as antibodies to protect them, so I woulndt worry, and if she does catch it it is very likely she will have it very mildly.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:13 AM
Remember that his saliva tells your body exactly what antibodies are needed so from the tap is still very good. But I understand the need to rest. Just make sure you're getting hydrated and pumping when he's getting the bottles.

Quoting RC.TC.JT3: Thank you. I have been pumping so he doesn't have to be as close or dad can feed while I rest.

Quoting audmom1218: Not through your milk but just from being close to you. Baby has already been exposed so lots of nursing is the best thing to do to help her immune system af this point
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM
You should be nursing directly, a cold is not a death sentence;-) My third son caught his first cold at 2 weeks old and because I kept nursing it was gone in 3 days, I however was sick for 4 miserable weeks! Same thing happened with my fourth currently nursing baby and he hasn't gotten any of my colds (I get sick easily) because I just kept nursing. They get all the antibodies from nursing which will prevent and shorten illnesses.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:57 PM
It's actually good for you to nurse when you're sick because baby will get all the antibodies you are making and it will protect her in the future.
Serabeth06
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM

No, the opposite, actually. Baby gets antibodies to fight off your cold through your milk.

cabrandy03
by Brandy on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Yep this:

Quoting LittleRed80: It's actually good for you to nurse when you're sick because baby will get all the antibodies you are making and it will protect her in the future.
RC.TC.JT3
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:47 PM
You ladies are awesome.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 11:09 PM
Go ahead and let the baby nurse. . You would have to pump at the same time the bottles were being given, plus run the risk of your baby developing a bottle preference. Your baby's mouth on your breast tells your body what antibodies to make.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)