Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looks like he does have an eating deficit after all

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM
  • 17 Replies
My son just turned 15 months and he won't even eat purees. We saw a speech pathologist who also specializes in feeding and she said he has a lip tie and tongue tie 3. She said he has low muscle tone in his mouth overall but one side is much stronger than the other. She told me it was a red flag that he could only feed side lying. She thinks she can have him eating purees within 4 weeks. I'm worried it's a con. I paid $75 for that visit and the next two visits are $175 and after that it will be $95 weekly. Has anyone ever done this type of therapy??
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schnauzerlov869
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 3:57 PM
Bump
ceckyl
by Kyla on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:24 PM
4 moms liked this

Puréed don't teach babies to eat, have you tried solid foods?  The only thing that is going to fix his ties is to have them released, so unless she's doing that, I'm pretty sure she won't help him. 

kajira
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I would pay to get his ties fixed.... then give him a chance to heal an dwork those muscles by offering solids (what YOU eat, not puree's.)

Then, re-evaluate him in a few weeks.

kajira
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

also - use the ECI state program for the evaluation, it's free.  (birth to three.)

mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM

This. He doesn't need purees ever. Try real food and save your money on her and instead use it to have the ties released.

Quoting ceckyl:

Puréed don't teach babies to eat, have you tried solid foods?  The only thing that is going to fix his ties is to have them released, so unless she's doing that, I'm pretty sure she won't help him. 

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Agreed!

Quoting ceckyl:

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:24 PM
Yes, this!!!

Quoting mamabens:

This. He doesn't need purees ever. Try real food and save your money on her and instead use it to have the ties released.

Quoting ceckyl:

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:58 PM
You need to have the ties clipped or lasered. Look at the section on ties in our resources sticky; there are links to pictures and articles, and a list of reputable providers by state who revise ties. His must be pretty severe. He will most likely need suck training as well. In the meantime, get as much breastmilk in him as you possibly can, by whatever means works best. I would also look into chiropractic care and craniosacral therapy.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 9, 2014 at 7:42 AM
This is what I'd do, too. Fix the Tues and then start from scratch.

Quoting kajira:

I would pay to get his ties fixed.... then give him a chance to heal an dwork those muscles by offering solids (what YOU eat, not puree's.)

Then, re-evaluate him in a few weeks.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Nov. 9, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Fix the ties asap, then work with a therapist, either her or someone else. Both spedch and occupational therapists can be trained in feeding therapy. Also, make sure that they are sensory trained as well as that can be a huge component.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)