Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Beginning breastfeeding, milk storage 101

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM
  • 9 Replies
How do you begin to pump milk and store it ? My baby is 4 days old and my breast were engorged so I decided to pump after each breastfeeding and put some aside for on the road. Any tips on how to make breastfeeding easy? How long does the milk last ? I also plan to work in 2-3 months.and will I lose my milk from pumping ? I pump 20 minutes after every other feeding.
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 5:53 PM
I honestly wouldn't recommend pumping this early (unless you have been bottle feeding). Baby's time at the breast is what needs to regulate your supply. Otherwise you can end up with a nasty oversupply which can lead to all sorts of other problems.
If you are engorged first put baby to the breast, then try cool packs on your breast and if it's still unbearably you can hand express a bit to take the edge off.
Once your supply is regulated (for me that is around 4-6 weeks) I usually pumped once in the morning to build up a days worth of milk for back to work or other emergencies.
Milk is generally good for about 4 hours at room temp, 5 days in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer.
When you are away from baby, you just need to make sure that you are pumping as often as baby is having a bottle to maintain your supply.
Jaybay223
by Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Everything she said!! I started pumping at about 6 weeks....

Quoting LittleRed80: I honestly wouldn't recommend pumping this early (unless you have been bottle feeding). Baby's time at the breast is what needs to regulate your supply. Otherwise you can end up with a nasty oversupply which can lead to all sorts of other problems.
If you are engorged first put baby to the breast, then try cool packs on your breast and if it's still unbearably you can hand express a bit to take the edge off.
Once your supply is regulated (for me that is around 4-6 weeks) I usually pumped once in the morning to build up a days worth of milk for back to work or other emergencies.
Milk is generally good for about 4 hours at room temp, 5 days in the fridge and 6 months in the freezer.
When you are away from baby, you just need to make sure that you are pumping as often as baby is having a bottle to maintain your supply.
serenesmom1
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:00 PM
The hospital told me to pump now... But I have heard 4 weeks and up
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Unfortunately the hospital isn't the best source of breastfeeding information. I think kellymom.com is great and so is this forum.

Quoting serenesmom1: The hospital told me to pump now... But I have heard 4 weeks and up
starshine_17_02
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
If you pump after baby eats you're telling your body that you need more milk. You'll end up worse off then you are now. Just let baby eat for now and wait til about 4 to 6 weeks.
serenesmom1
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 8:36 PM
Should I set my alarm every 2 hours or waif for baby to cry? I've been setting my alarm every 2 hours but I look like a zombie .... And caring for a newborn alone and I've never breastfed new to this...
starshine_17_02
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Neither. Don't set an alarm, but dont wait for crying. Look for hunger cues rooting, sticking out tongue, eating their own hand. And really early on just being awake.

Quoting serenesmom1: Should I set my alarm every 2 hours or waif for baby to cry? I've been setting my alarm every 2 hours but I look like a zombie .... And caring for a newborn alone and I've never breastfed new to this...
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Baby should not be separate from you for one minute (if they're done with the stupid heater). Just plop baby on the breast, leave her there.

Get OUT of that hospital as fast as you can. And choose a barn for your next birth. You and baby will be safer.

Quoting serenesmom1: Should I set my alarm every 2 hours or waif for baby to cry? I've been setting my alarm every 2 hours but I look like a zombie .... And caring for a newborn alone and I've never breastfed new to this...

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM
Slowly reduce the pumping until you're only pumping first thing in the morning. All of that pumping is telling your body that you need twice the milk than your baby needs. Oversupply can cause problems for both you and your baby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)