Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How much and when to start?

Posted by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM
  • 5 Replies
I'm a stay at home mom and exclusively breastfeeding my 11 week old. My boyfriend and I are planning our anniversary and it will be our first night away from her and she will be staying with my parents. It's at the end of January so she will be 5 months old at that point. I'm just wondering about how much milk I need to send? When shoukd I start pumping?
Like I said, we're exclusive breast right now, and as I don't have measurements on my boobs, I don't even know how much she eats.
Just wanting some advice from more experienced moms.
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 9:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM
2 moms liked this

She'll need 1 - 1.25 ounces for every hour you're away. Her age doesn't matter; that's a FOREVER number good npow and good two years from now. If you're going to be gone 24 hours, that's a max of 30 ounces in servings of three ounces MAX. 

When to pump? I wouldn't even bother starting till mid January. And I used to travel for work. But I also was used to pumping. You CAN start now if you want. Just don't start the day before you go.

Google "bottlefeeding the breastfed baby" for an instruction guide to give your parents. And you MUST bring your pump. Pump once for every 2-3 hours away, no matter what. Trust me here. Baby's going to be fine; YOU are the one actually at the most risk with the getaway if you don't keep the milk moving (engorgement, mastitis are your risks).

Really, the most important thing you can work on now is making sure she knows her grandparents well enough that being left with them is no big deal. 

snelson131
by on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:19 PM
Awesome! Thank you! My stepmom breastfed my sisters so they know what they're doing. And I was planning on taking my pump with me. Definitely don't want the big hurting boobs again

Quoting gdiamante:

She'll need 1 - 1.25 ounces for every hour you're away. Her age doesn't matter; that's a FOREVER number good npow and good two years from now. If you're going to be gone 24 hours, that's a max of 30 ounces in servings of three ounces MAX. 

When to pump? I wouldn't even bother starting till mid January. And I used to travel for work. But I also was used to pumping. You CAN start now if you want. Just don't start the day before you go.

Google "bottlefeeding the breastfed baby" for an instruction guide to give your parents. And you MUST bring your pump. Pump once for every 2-3 hours away, no matter what. Trust me here. Baby's going to be fine; YOU are the one actually at the most risk with the getaway if you don't keep the milk moving (engorgement, mastitis are your risks).

Really, the most important thing you can work on now is making sure she knows her grandparents well enough that being left with them is no big deal. 

Mammacra
by Member on Nov. 8, 2014 at 10:26 PM
Bump for advice I dont use bottles my babies stay with me until after they wean as toddlers
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Be sure that they feed the bottles as described in the article that Gina mentioned. It will slow down the feedings to prevent overfeeding and flow preference. The recommendation is to give 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours.
snelson131
by on Nov. 9, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Yeah! thank you! We have bottles that are specifically for breastfeeding!!

Quoting aehanrahan: Be sure that they feed the bottles as described in the article that Gina mentioned. It will slow down the feedings to prevent overfeeding and flow preference. The recommendation is to give 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)