Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastmilk storage question

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:27 AM
  • 28 Replies
Hi,
Maybe a silly question. . Should I be storing each pump output separately in a bag or I can pump and store a days output in one bag?
TIA
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ducks4Life
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:22 AM

What I do; I pump, put in fridge, pumnp later put in fridge (different bottle)... When the second one is cold enough, I put it together with the first and then put in a storage bag.

gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I always went with one pump = one feeding. You don't want to ever give a bottle of more than about 3 ounces at a time. Sotring a whole day's pumps in one bag can lead to waste of milk.

newtobemom
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Thanks, makes sense.

Quoting Ducks4Life:

What I do; I pump, put in fridge, pumnp later put in fridge (different bottle)... When the second one is cold enough, I put it together with the first and then put in a storage bag.

Ducks4Life
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Also what gdiamante said...  My storage bags hold 6oz...  I fill it up, then put 2oz in a bottle, so I have a total of 3 bottles.  I give those to whoever is watching her while I am at work...

See I can leave that much in a bag... I use one bag while I am away at work...  If you are gone all day then you can fill up a bag.  I am also puting like 3oz in bags just for when I go to church (for the nursery) and if DH and I go out, so for the sitter.  

Hope that is helpful.

newtobemom
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:53 AM
Actually my baby is 7 months old, I have been sahm but will be going for full time job in a month. Till now haven't had any need to pump but my pump output isn't that great so want to start pumping to build a stash. I am planning to pump twice a day now and every 2 hours when I go back to work. I don't think my 1 pump will be equal to 1 feeding. :(. How should I go about storing?

Quoting gdiamante:

I always went with one pump = one feeding. You don't want to ever give a bottle of more than about 3 ounces at a time. Sotring a whole day's pumps in one bag can lead to waste of milk.

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Just pump once every morning until you go back to work. Store what you pump in 3oz increments. Use frozen milk on your first day back, then pump for the second day while you're at work and use that for day 2. I couldn't have used one pump for one feeding because I pumped anywhere from 6-9oz per feeding for the entire year I pumped.

Quoting newtobemom: Actually my baby is 7 months old, I have been sahm but will be going for full time job in a month. Till now haven't had any need to pump but my pump output isn't that great so want to start pumping to build a stash. I am planning to pump twice a day now and every 2 hours when I go back to work. I don't think my 1 pump will be equal to 1 feeding. :(. How should I go about storing?
Quoting gdiamante:

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

I went back to work after 3 months with my son and didn't pump at all until the day before I returned to work and that's what he drank for day 1. A stash isn't necessary at all and often goes to waste.

newtobemom
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM
For last couple of days I have tried a few pumps. First thing in morning I get around 1.5 oz and rest of the day .5 oz..never made it to 1 oz..so even if I pump every 2 hours I will just get 4-5 ounces in a day. I will be gone for 8-9 hours, this wouldn't be enough right? Is my pump output very low?

Quoting stepconfused182:

I went back to work after 3 months with my son and didn't pump at all until the day before I returned to work and that's what he drank for day 1. A stash isn't necessary at all and often goes to waste.

newtobemom
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Thanks I will be gone for 8-9 hours. I will be nursing her before I drop her and then as soon as I pick her. I am worried that my pump output is very low. Right side doesn't respond to pump at all now and I get less than an ounce from other when I pump for 15 minutes. I rented different pumps over weekend but not much difference.

Quoting Ducks4Life:

Also what gdiamante said...  My storage bags hold 6oz...  I fill it up, then put 2oz in a bottle, so I have a total of 3 bottles.  I give those to whoever is watching her while I am at work...

See I can leave that much in a bag... I use one bag while I am away at work...  If you are gone all day then you can fill up a bag.  I am also puting like 3oz in bags just for when I go to church (for the nursery) and if DH and I go out, so for the sitter.  

Hope that is helpful.

mama2JnE
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM
I fill until i have 4oz and then start a new bag
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)