Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby food

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM
  • 21 Replies

I read in another post not to give baby, baby cereal w/ breast milk. Do you give baby cereal with formula?  Or none at all?  Then what food do you start with?  

I just googled which food to start with... It did say baby cereal, then you move on to orange baby food, and so on and so on. 

My baby is ONLY 3 months, so this does not apply to me yet. :-)

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Delete your bookmark for whatever site you've been reading. No cereal, no baby food, NO solids till six months.

Google BABY LED SOLIDS. This is the way to go. No purees, ever. When baby has developed a pincer grasp, lost the tongue thrust reflex and can sit up unsupported, slice up a banana and put it in front of baby and let her go to town. Self feeding, not spoon feeding. If she can't self feed, she's not ready for solids yet.

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

We do baby led solids.  We skip baby food, baby cereal,etc.  We just offer food we are eating after 6 months if they're ready.  If not we wait until they show interest. My 2 year old was 9 months, my 8 year old was 6 months. Norah is a month and we will just follow her lead as well.  We have had people suggest cereal to help her sleep but I politely tell them we don't give garbage food to our kids.

Ducks4Life
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Oh I don't plan to feed her until she is at least 6 months, maybe even later than that.  Thank you on your advice! Very much appreciated. :-)

Quoting gdiamante:

Delete your bookmark for whatever site you've been reading. No cereal, no baby food, NO solids till six months.

Google BABY LED SOLIDS. This is the way to go. No purees, ever. When baby has developed a pincer grasp, lost the tongue thrust reflex and can sit up unsupported, slice up a banana and put it in front of baby and let her go to town. Self feeding, not spoon feeding. If she can't self feed, she's not ready for solids yet.

MamaCeleste0722
by Celeste on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM
1 mom liked this
Definitely google baby led solids. Much easier!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ducks4Life
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Ha Ha I love that response!

When Fae was 2 months my MIL asked us if we were feeding her cereal yet...  When DH told me she asked, my face -->> O______o  I assume she meant in a bottle.  

The only reason she even asked was because she knows people that do this.  ONE they are new parents, I have a son and she acts like we are just dumb and takes advice from these people, kind of hurtful. Maybe people did it a while back, but people know better now.

That is why I always tell people listen to your parents, but do research before taking thier word on anything. Things change so rapidly....  

Quoting Mom2Just1:

We do baby led solids.  We skip baby food, baby cereal,etc.  We just offer food we are eating after 6 months if they're ready.  If not we wait until they show interest. My 2 year old was 9 months, my 8 year old was 6 months. Norah is a month and we will just follow her lead as well.  We have had people suggest cereal to help her sleep but I politely tell them we don't give garbage food to our kids.

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I LOVE baby led solids.  I did it without knowing what it was.  :)  With my 4th, he loved to sleep and was always napping at meal times.  My other kids were 3, 2, and 1.  I didn't have time to spoon feed him baby food when he was awake.  So I just put him in the high chair and gave him bits of our food.  He would play, taste, spit out, etc.  He was about 10 months when he ate, what I call, his first meal.  He ate a ton of salmon, cous cous, and veggies!  Ever since that, I do baby led solids.  :D

Rhodin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
1 mom liked this
I tried thd cereal twice. DD4 didn't like it. She still, to this day, won't eat rice, not even in rice crispy treats. DD2 hadn't lost her tongue thrust reflex at 6 months. A month later she started stealing my salad and has eaten real food since. Both times, I ended up making pancakes with the cereal (which DD4 didn't eat). I am very strongly inclined to skip the cereal entirely with DD0.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ducks4Life
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I love the baby led solids!!  I will do that!!!  Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences and advice! 

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My first 2 atell baby mushes, because my pedi said to feed it to them, I was the first of my friends to have a baby and just never thought there could possibly be another way. My third baby flat out refused purees and anything like a puree (applesauce, pudding etc) and was only interested in feeding herself real food. And it was easier so I just went with it. After her I started reading here about "baby led weaning" and seld-feeding so I never bought the mushes for baby 4 and won't for baby 5 either. We usually start with bits of banana, small peices of skinned grapes, cooked peas, soft cooked carrots. No cereal. :-)
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally don't listen to my parents.  My mom formula fed, smoked while pregnant, big fan of processed food, cereal in bottles,etc. I am very pro breastfeeding (nursed all three of my kids), organic, etc.

Quoting Ducks4Life:

Ha Ha I love that response!

When Fae was 2 months my MIL asked us if we were feeding her cereal yet...  When DH told me she asked, my face -->> O______o  I assume she meant in a bottle.  

The only reason she even asked was because she knows people that do this.  ONE they are new parents, I have a son and she acts like we are just dumb and takes advice from these people, kind of hurtful. Maybe people did it a while back, but people know better now.

That is why I always tell people listen to your parents, but do research before taking thier word on anything. Things change so rapidly....  

Quoting Mom2Just1:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)