• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flat Nipples?

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

So I have flat nipples and Ive tried the nipple shield and it doesn't really allow my LO to get a lot of milk so I've been pumping... but its there a way to work around flat nipples? Thank you :)

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 4:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mamabens
by Miranda on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:03 PM
2 moms liked this

You need nipple shElls not shields. You wear them in your bra between feedings to draw out the nipple. Also a latch assist might help too. 

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree get some shells and wear between feedings, work on training your nipples to come out by gently rolling them between your fingers

sspaschal2427
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Thank you! which nipple shells would you recommend?

Quoting mamabens:

You need nipple shElls not shields. You wear them in your bra between feedings to draw out the nipple. Also a latch assist might help too. 

gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

ANY brand of breast shell is fine. Just never never never never a shield for this.

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I have one flat nipple. I have to do a quick pinch and make the "boobie sandwich" and quickly get the nipple and breast in her mouth.
Jaybay223
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:25 PM
This! They helped me so much.

Quoting mamabens:

Decemberlov
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:43 PM
Lol me too. It seems to be his preferred boobie though.

I used a shield for the first 3 days or so and then started to just remove it a minute or so into feeding one he drew the nipple out enough.

Quoting mostlymaydays: I have one flat nipple. I have to do a quick pinch and make the "boobie sandwich" and quickly get the nipple and breast in her mouth.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM
You need shells to wear in your bra between feedings, not shields.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:51 PM
What they said!^^^ Shells, not shields, will help.
Teenabeena2293
by on Nov. 26, 2014 at 5:45 AM

Do not use a nipple shield....they affect prolactin production and inchange can affect your milk supply.  Babies mouth needs to be on the nipple.  It also makes it harder for baby so suck on your flat nipple.  Try shells and latch assist.  You can also try to use a breastpump right before you nurse to draw the nipple out.  What positions have you tried?  I found that the cross cradle position worked best for me--I had completely inverted nipples and was able to breastfeed without using bottles or shields.  Bottles caused baby to much nipple confusion.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)