• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Postpartum depression vs D MER

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
  • 10 Replies
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/e553972f#/e553972f/18

I have noticed everytime I breast feed I get so anxious and upset and anger but when I supplment with bottles my mood doesn't get out of control .still looking into D MER.
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jjchick75
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I think what you are saying is pretty common. I hear women talking about breastfeeding making them feel peaceful and sleepy but it's never been like that for me. I think we need to be more open with women about that. It would have helped me so much to have someone tell me with my first it's okay if breastfeeding doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy and it's okay to not like it. I've found ways to deal with the feelings and I'm nursing my 5th baby though. I don't really feel like what I experience is DMER though but who knows lol.
serenesmom1
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:38 PM

im fine right now and im going to breastfeed in about 2 hours and my mood will change. i dont want my milk supply anymore if i am going to be a emotional depressed person having an anxiety attack.

cp428
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:06 PM
How long does the anxiety last? I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone, but for me, when I would experience d-mer, it was over quickly. Like I would get that feeling of dread/anxiousness, but it would pass within a minute of let down.
serenesmom1
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM
It will last 30 mins for me maybe an hour I have no idea what is wrong with me!

Quoting cp428: How long does the anxiety last? I'm not sure if this is the same for everyone, but for me, when I would experience d-mer, it was over quickly. Like I would get that feeling of dread/anxiousness, but it would pass within a minute of let down.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 10:40 PM
This sounds more like post partum depression. Most meds for this are perfectly safe for breastfeeding. I would look into it, talk to your doctor ASAP. If you need medication information, check LactMed or Dr. Hale's Infant Risk Hotline at 1-806-359-2519.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:01 PM
D-MER is usually associated with letdown. I agree with Maggie that it's more likely PPD. I get really anxious when I'm nursing, like I'm super sensitive and irritated by everything in the world. I know it's irrational but there's nothing I can do to stop that runaway train. You need to talk this all out and weigh your choices but be warned, weaning can really exacerbate depression. From a purely biological perspective, your brain and body know there is a baby because the nursing hormones are all firing but when you wean, that biofeedback is interrupted and the body wonders "what happened" to the baby and can trigger a sort of "mourning".
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM
I would agree, probably ppd. I had pretty bad post partum anxiety after my third I started taking b complex vitamins, I also encapsulated my placentax and going outside for walks helped a lot too.
BraniOut
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:13 AM
From reading your previous posts, I was starting to worry that you might be getting PPD because you sound exactly how I did after having my first baby. I encourage you to call your doctor ASAP. I thought I was just having "baby blues" and let it go on for way too long.
serenesmom1
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 2:34 AM
Ok thank u for your advice
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 25, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I agree.

Quoting mostlymaydays: D-MER is usually associated with letdown. I agree with Maggie that it's more likely PPD. I get really anxious when I'm nursing, like I'm super sensitive and irritated by everything in the world. I know it's irrational but there's nothing I can do to stop that runaway train. You need to talk this all out and weigh your choices but be warned, weaning can really exacerbate depression. From a purely biological perspective, your brain and body know there is a baby because the nursing hormones are all firing but when you wean, that biofeedback is interrupted and the body wonders "what happened" to the baby and can trigger a sort of "mourning".
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)