Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Wean

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 10 Replies
Baby led wean or parent led? Thoughts?
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:31 PM
Baby-led, always. With solids as well. No spoon feeding, purees or cereal. Nursing on demand through the first year, at least. I never refused mine; they cut back very gradually until they no longer wanted to nurse.
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 25, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Depends. You want to do a lot of work or not have to think about it? **grin** Baby led requires no thought. Parent led rquires work

JennKS
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 5:33 AM
Haha no thought!! Ha but how long does that take? I really do not wanna go passed two yrs old. He is 14 months
gdiamante
by Gina on Nov. 25, 2014 at 8:31 AM

As long as it takes. In this house, 26 months. In some families, 14 months. In others, four years. All depends on the child and what he needs. And that's the crux of it: baby-led weaning is all about the child's needs, while parent-led is really about the parent's needs. Not saying the parent's needs aren't legitimate! But if the parent is looking to wean before baby is really ready, it becomes harder.

Weaning is done by dropping one feeding per week till gone. Start with the one baby is least likely to miss, which is probably somewhere in the middle of the afternoon. Expect the bedtime nursing to be the last to go.

You can night wean, too. Dr. Jay Gordon has written some great stuff on this, titled "Changing the Sleep Pattern In the Family Bed."

Quoting JennKS: Haha no thought!! Ha but how long does that take? I really do not wanna go passed two yrs old. He is 14 months

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:11 AM
Baby led weaning is ideal, but even if you want that sometimes you have to make the hard decision to wean before that time.
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm kind of mixed.  I guess I see weaning as a gradual and mutual process.  When I have had terrible aversions I have set limits so that I can keep nursing, but not as often as the child wants.  It's a compromise that has to work for both of us. While I intend to nurse until my child is done (with limits in place at times), I could see the possibility of me making the decision to wean if it was necessary for my mental state.  :) 

Now if you see weaning as a one time and your done process - I don't think that is the way to go. 

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Nov. 25, 2014 at 3:04 PM
I agree!

Quoting gdiamante:

As long as it takes. In this house, 26 months. In some families, 14 months. In others, four years. All depends on the child and what he needs. And that's the crux of it: baby-led weaning is all about the child's needs, while parent-led is really about the parent's needs. Not saying the parent's needs aren't legitimate! But if the parent is looking to wean before baby is really ready, it becomes harder.

Weaning is done by dropping one feeding per week till gone. Start with the one baby is least likely to miss, which is probably somewhere in the middle of the afternoon. Expect the bedtime nursing to be the last to go.

You can night wean, too. Dr. Jay Gordon has written some great stuff on this, titled "Changing the Sleep Pattern In the Family Bed."

Quoting JennKS: Haha no thought!! Ha but how long does that take? I really do not wanna go passed two yrs old. He is 14 months

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 7:11 PM

We chose baby-led (child led/toddler led?) which was hurried along by pregnancy.  I'm sure if I weren't pregnant she would still be nursing.  But the last 3 times she "nursed" she didn't even latch, just held her mouth over for a second and said, "no this is for the baby". (She's 35 months)

levansbx
by Bronze Member on Nov. 25, 2014 at 7:33 PM
I let dd lead. She was for months shy of her third birthday and I was six months pregnant. It was easy and painless for both of us... Which is exactly how I wanted it to be. In fact, it was so gradual, I didn't even realize it had happened.
JennKS
by on Nov. 25, 2014 at 7:48 PM
I want that but idk if i can do that long. I cant hold him much longer in my wheelchair
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)