Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Biting

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM
  • 2 Replies
My little one (9mths) won't stop playfully biting.She eats all is good and out of nowhere CHOMP! She looks right up at me too she knows she's not aloud!I tell her NO! And say all done!She even smiles at me sometimes!Today she did it when she was falling asleep nursing and left teeth marks.So its not always being naughty on purpose.I scared her when I said owwe.Will she just grow out of it? Cause man it hurts haha.
by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 11:34 PM
1 mom liked this
You get.to take action on this one. When she bites, break the latch with your finger, look her in the face and tell her "No, that hurts.", and let her try again. If she does it again, unlatch her, set her in a safe, boring place and walk away. Do not give her solids, either, until she nurses nicely again.

If she's teething, treat the pain 15-30 minutes before nursing. If you can anticipate, unlatch before the bite occurs.

For more information, see "When Babies Attack" in our resources sticky.
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 5, 2014 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this
She is enjoying the reaction that she's getting, so give her none. Just take her off and set her somewhere safe and go about your day. She WILL learn that biting= no nursing. Don't give her anything as an alternating to nursing or she might start to prefer the alternative.
Another thing that can help us trying to anticipate the bite. Watch for signs that she's done, playing, or bored and take her off before she gets the chance to bite. You have to be vigilant and consistent. It won't work overnight, but it WILL work.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)