Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I keep getting formula

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:59 AM
  • 31 Replies
The coupons keep coming in. And I've had full cans sent to my house. Does this happen frequently to breastfeeding mothers?
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Yep. It happens to a lot of formula feeding mothers as well. I got formula with my first two kids but only coupons when I had my third.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:13 AM

Yes. Especially if you filled out any kind of survey anywhere that said you are breastfeeding. Motherhood Maternity has been notorious for selling that info, and the formula companies are particularly targeting nursing moms. More often I see this with breastfeeders than formula feeders, because the formula families are already "in the fold."

HazelBug
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:19 AM
It's good that mothers who use it get some free as well! But I just never know what to do with it. By the time I've given away the cans or coupons more seems to arrive. (I don't have friends with small babies. My friend with a baby on the way wants to try harder to breastfeed so I've not given any formula stuff to her)

I only wish that free breastpumps or milk storage bags would land on my doorstep!
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:25 AM
This! It is a marketing ploy to get breastfeeding moms to use their products. Sometimes, the formula is accompanied with an "informational" breastfeeding brochure with some not so correct information and advice for "when it comes time to supplement."

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes. Especially if you filled out any kind of survey anywhere that said you are breastfeeding. Motherhood Maternity has been notorious for selling that info, and the formula companies are particularly targeting nursing moms. More often I see this with breastfeeders than formula feeders, because the formula families are already "in the fold."

HazelBug
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:27 AM
That's probably it then. I bought a top there when I was pregnant. I've never bought formulas though. So they're wasting their money on me. Though they probably think I'm buying it since I've found people to use the coupons.

I think I gave the postman the most bizarre look today. I order things from amazon frequently. But I wasn't expecting a package. I had a real "where on earth did this come from" look on me.

Quoting gdiamante:

HazelBug
by Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 2:31 AM
I've had a look at a couple of those pamphlets. It's enough to subtly discourage any nursing mom. But I've spent a lot more time reading and re-reading the womanly art of breastfeeding.

Quoting aehanrahan: This! It is a marketing ploy to get breastfeeding moms to use their products. Sometimes, the formula is accompanied with an "informational" breastfeeding brochure with some not so correct information and advice for "when it comes time to supplement."

Quoting gdiamante:

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM
I'm getting cans of formula, too, and this is the fifth breastfed baby I have not bought a dollar of formula for. But I've given the coupons away as well.

Quoting HazelBug: That's probably it then. I bought a top there when I was pregnant. I've never bought formulas though. So they're wasting their money on me. Though they probably think I'm buying it since I've found people to use the coupons.

I think I gave the postman the most bizarre look today. I order things from amazon frequently. But I wasn't expecting a package. I had a real "where on earth did this come from" look on me.

Quoting gdiamante:

Bump2b
by New Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I joined this group in the hope to breastfeed my third but she is formula fed and is now 4months. But this group still comes up in my feed & I like to use the knowledge I learn here to help out friends BUT one thing that always comes up is formula coupons.

I'm from Australia and have been seeing a lot about coupons and formula samples being sent to new mums. This never happens here, where I am from formula is pretty much a sin. In Aus formula companies are not allowed to advertise at all unless it's toddler (12 month+ formula) Is this a normal occurrence? I'm just curious. I find breastfeeding hard enough without the pressure from formula companies. Is there any laws or restrictions like there are in Aus?
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM

You can send the stuff back. Or you can donate it to a shelter.

Unfortunately this is a ploy that often works, and that's why they do it. If that can is there in the house, it's a temptation and often does get opened, especially when a mom is past the newborn high and baby is hitting a growth spurt.

Quoting HazelBug: That's probably it then. I bought a top there when I was pregnant. I've never bought formulas though. So they're wasting their money on me. Though they probably think I'm buying it since I've found people to use the coupons. I think I gave the postman the most bizarre look today. I order things from amazon frequently. But I wasn't expecting a package. I had a real "where on earth did this come from" look on me.
Quoting gdiamante:

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM

VERY common, and not illegal at all here in the US.

Quoting Bump2b: I joined this group in the hope to breastfeed my third but she is formula fed and is now 4months. But this group still comes up in my feed & I like to use the knowledge I learn here to help out friends BUT one thing that always comes up is formula coupons. I'm from Australia and have been seeing a lot about coupons and formula samples being sent to new mums. This never happens here, where I am from formula is pretty much a sin. In Aus formula companies are not allowed to advertise at all unless it's toddler (12 month+ formula) Is this a normal occurrence? I'm just curious. I find breastfeeding hard enough without the pressure from formula companies. Is there any laws or restrictions like there are in Aus?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)