Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Introducing solids

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 8 Replies
Hi I'm a FTM and I won't be introducing solids for another couple months as my son is almost 4 months, but I wondered if anyone could recommend any books or websites that give a good timeline on when to start them on solids, I know not till about 6 months and when they're showing interest in food but what foods should I try first, also how often should I be breastfeeding during this transition. I'm not in a hurry to stop breastfeeding or to get him on solids, I just want to get an idea of how it all works and what I should be doing or not doing when the time comes.
Thanks ladies!
by on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
LittleRed80
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:15 PM
I favor baby lead solids, so you might look that up. I also wouldn't think of it as a transition. Breastmilk or formula is the only source of nutrition for at least 6 months and then the primary source for the first year. Breastfeeding should always be done first and solids offered only after a full feeding at the breast.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Dec. 12, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Yeah, it's not a transition, it's an addition.  You nurse first and for most and then offer solids after.  I agree also into looking into baby led weaning.

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:30 PM
Yep, infact the first year solids should never replace breastfeeding, breastmilk always is given first before 'desserts' aka solids before they turn a year. Also, some moms wait until well after 6 months to even introduce solids.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

Yeah, it's not a transition, it's an addition.  You nurse first and for most and then offer solids after.  I agree also into looking into baby led weaning.

aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 12, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Kellymom.com has good information on when to start offering solids and the signs of readiness, which are: Baby is at least six months, can sit up unsupported, has lost the tongue thrust reflex, and can pick up food for self feeding. Solids should never replace nursing until at least a year and should only be offered immediately after nursing to ensure proper nutrition.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:28 PM
What they've all said. Any good, wholesome food they can feed themselves. Concentrate on meat, vegetables and fruits when baby starts feeding himself, adding grains and grain products toward the end of the first year. After the first birthday, if he nurses as little as 3-4 times a day, he needs no other kind of milk.
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 12, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Quoting ticking.clock: but what foods should I try first,
Bananas are a great starter. Remember, these are snacks. Breastmilk is still the main meal. Solids only FOLLOW nursing, all he way to the first birthday.
also how often should I be breastfeeding during this transition.
As often as he wants. You're still on demand, nursing first and solids only after.Not one bite of solids without nursing first.
I'm not in a hurry to stop breastfeeding or to get him on solids, I just want to get an idea of how it all works and what I should be doing or not doing when the time comes.
It truly takes little to no thought. We did "he eats what we eat." So mine was getting whatever veggie or fruit we were eating. Potatoes, green beans, peas, small pasta.
Google wholesome baby foods if you want recipes, though I truly don't think they're needed.
polkaspots
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 12:37 AM
Nurse first and offer at meal times. My kids started with one meal a day and gradually added more as they started staying awake more and napping less. We have three meals and two snacks a day, but my youngest (almost a year) usually only breakfast, a snack and dinner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JodyR82
by Member on Dec. 18, 2014 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this

The book "Baby Led Weaning" is great. It will answer all of the questions you just asked.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)