Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new here!

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:02 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hi everyone!!

My name is Stephanie and I just had my second baby on December 10th. Baby girl named aubrey. I have a 5 year old son named Jason. I BF Jason for the first 6 months until he self weaned and refused to nurse. I blame the fact that I was in nursing school full time and it was difficult to get time away during class to pump so my mlk supply went from full flow to barely a trickle.

With this baby my goal is to BF to at least 1 year and if she will go longer I will more than happily go longer. We've hit a few bumps in the last 10 days and ive gone to a few BF workshops to help with my latching technique. My poor nipples became raw and sore and it was getting difficult to nurse without crying in pain but we are on the mend now and I trucking through.

looking forward to learning the tricks and the trade!

CafeMom Tickers
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Welcome to bf moms group! (We're you in August 2009 babies group?) Hope the latch is all straightened out. If you still have problems let us know because we chime in with some usual suspects. She's a doll! :-)
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 20, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Welcome momma!!! Stick around here and I bet you can nurse to a year no prob!

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Welcome!

Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM
She is so cute!!! Welcome to the group ;)
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM
Have her checked for lip and tongue ties. We have a section on ties in our resources sticky that will help. When she latches, push down on her chin to encourage her to open wider. Flip her top lip out if it tucks in. Support your breast with your opposite hand.
Sabuchler
by New Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 1:26 AM

Yes I was in the August 2009 group! I recognize your SN! The latch is all straightened out now. Every time I nurse it becomes less painful. I went from the whole nursing session being painful to only just the first 1-2 minutes.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Welcome to bf moms group! (We're you in August 2009 babies group?) Hope the latch is all straightened out. If you still have problems let us know because we chime in with some usual suspects. She's a doll! :-)

CafeMom Tickers
Sabuchler
by New Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 1:30 AM

When I was at my breastfeeding workshop the nurses there didn't seem to think she had any ties, mostly just a problem with her not taking in enough of the nipple. She also nurses A LOT and that first week before my supply came in she was sucking like she was starving. Now with my milk supply up she's become an easier nurser. I also have learned which position is best for us. I was only using the cross cradle hold and when I switched to football hold and changed the pillow out Its helped a TON with her latching and my nipples have healed.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Have her checked for lip and tongue ties. We have a section on ties in our resources sticky that will help. When she latches, push down on her chin to encourage her to open wider. Flip her top lip out if it tucks in. Support your breast with your opposite hand.

CafeMom Tickers
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 21, 2014 at 7:54 AM
I recognized your name, too but wasn't sure until i read that you had a 5 year old. I was in Aug 2009 for my baby #4, Lucy. I just had my fifth this past August. It's our biggest age gap but it's been wonderful. She's such a big helper.

Quoting Sabuchler:

Yes I was in the August 2009 group! I recognize your SN! The latch is all straightened out now. Every time I nurse it becomes less painful. I went from the whole nursing session being painful to only just the first 1-2 minutes.

Quoting mostlymaydays: Welcome to bf moms group! (We're you in August 2009 babies group?) Hope the latch is all straightened out. If you still have problems let us know because we chime in with some usual suspects. She's a doll! :-)

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Glad the pain is less. I went through this with my daughter 22 years ago. I pretty much corrected her latch, but dicovered she was indeed tied. Most doctors and nurses do not have the training to correctly identify and evaluate ties. It would be worth having her checke at some point by a pediatric dentist or ENT. Ties can cause problems later on.

Continue to read posts here and on Kellymom.com. Two books: "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro and "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" from La Leche League. Go to LLLI.org and see if there is a group that meets near you. Being around other nursing mothers is very helpful. Feel free to pop in any time with any questions you have!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)