Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pumping

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM
  • 13 Replies
I really don't respond well to pumps. I bought a pump in style this time around and am not having much luck with it. Have any of you ladies rented a hospital type pump? Did you find that it worked better?
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:52 PM
Different pumps work for different moms. When you say you don't respond, could you give us a bit more information about how often you pump and what results you have? Do you need to be away often or for long periods of time?
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Define "don't respond well." Normal output is half an ounce to two ounces, and it's about what I got with a hospital grade rental.

polkaspots
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:36 PM
I get my best result with the morning pump session since my left side goes untouched all night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blueberry1
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM
I am not away for long periods of time yet, but will need to return to work in 14 weeks. With my first, I had to do some formula in addition to pumped milk so I would like to avoid that this time if I can. I have only tried pumping a few times, but can't seem to get more than half an ounce and that's first thing in the morning from a breast that hasn't been touched in hours.

Quoting MusherMaggie: Different pumps work for different moms. When you say you don't respond, could you give us a bit more information about how often you pump and what results you have? Do you need to be away often or for long periods of time?
blueberry1
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:52 PM
I'm only getting half an ounce from a full breast.

Quoting gdiamante:

Define "don't respond well." Normal output is half an ounce to two ounces, and it's about what I got with a hospital grade rental.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:12 AM
That actually is a normal amount. Try putting the baby on one side and the pump on the other. Breast massage and compression before pumping. Be sure the flanges on the pump are sized correctly and that the membranes are intact. Kellymom.com has good information on pumping and on bottlefeeding which should be of help.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Dec. 21, 2014 at 1:02 AM
Sounds like you're not letting down. When with baby, pump while nursing... Otherwise, try watching a video of him crying, or looking at pictures of him. Gets the hormones flowing.
gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 21, 2014 at 12:42 PM

You're in the range of normal. I know that's not encouraging.

Don't confuse full feeling with good production, though. Your breasts are not storage units, they're faucets. We often say feeling full is BAD, because if the glands are full, then your body will slow production.

The best way to get more at the pump is to pump more and nurse more.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 21, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Sounds like you just need to train your breast to respond..pump every morning first thing without fail, you will see an increase.  You can go up or down in horn size to help too

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 21, 2014 at 3:19 PM

There are a couple of things you can do in conjunction with pumping as often as possible:

1. Fenugreek. My dose was 3000 mg/day.

2. Mother's milk tea - 3 cups.day.

3. Oatmeal for breakfast - steel cut oats rather than the instant stuff; it also tastes better!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)