Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Weaning

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:34 AM
  • 4 Replies
Have started wean from exclusive pumping. Any tips for engorgment? Would like a transition to be as smooth as possible and am interested to hear how others dealt with it. I have started cabbage leaves and sudafed. Any other tips that have worked for you?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
sikkr
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Really didn't wanna pump at all. I'm ok with the pain after 12 hours. Just looking for any other tips. Thanks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM

CUt one pumping session a week is BEST, but no sooner than every 3-4 days.  Spread the other pumpings out...as you spread them out it should gradually cut sessions.  DO NOT go 12 hours without pumping until you have gradually weaned.  All the cabbage and sudafed in the world wont prevent mastitis is you wean too fast.  If you want to dry up super fast then use hormonal birth control.

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM

The smoothest transition is always SLOW. Drop a session every few days at most, preferably one per week rather than every few days. At a one per week rate, it will take you as many weeks as times you pump per day. You can cut that down by dropping a session every three days. I wouldn't drop any faster than every three days.

DO NOT take Sudafed unless you need it for illness. Cabage leaves will relieve engorgement.

If you want to be dry by the end of the week, ask your doctor tomorrow for YAZ birth control. It's a known supply killer, like chopping out the milk ducts. Start it tomorrow, bone dry before Friday.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:41 PM

YEP Yaz when it first came out was listed as safe for Bfing moms..dried me up in 24 hours!!

Quoting gdiamante:

The smoothest transition is always SLOW. Drop a session every few days at most, preferably one per week rather than every few days. At a one per week rate, it will take you as many weeks as times you pump per day. You can cut that down by dropping a session every three days. I wouldn't drop any faster than every three days.

DO NOT take Sudafed unless you need it for illness. Cabage leaves will relieve engorgement.

If you want to be dry by the end of the week, ask your doctor tomorrow for YAZ birth control. It's a known supply killer, like chopping out the milk ducts. Start it tomorrow, bone dry before Friday.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)