Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sleep training help please

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM
  • 15 Replies
My son is 7 months old on solids an bm but has only been wanting to sleep with me not in his bed or alone how can I teach him to sleep in his own bed without using cio he used to be a great sleeper but now he gets gas n constipation pretty bad an is teething but I am tired
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, motherhood is tiring. Welcome to the club. It's not recommended to night wean before at least 12 mos. Why is Baby constipated?
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 28, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Dial back all solids until the constipation is cleared. What kinds of solids is he eating? Still nursing just as much? There are several methods of gently night weaning but all discouraged before baby is 12 months.
BraniOut
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:00 PM
Teething and tummy troubles will cause sleep problems. Right now is probably not going to be a good time to try to force sleep changes on him. Hang in there. My DS just turned 7 months and I'm tired too.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Stop the solids for a while. Babies, particularly breastfeeding ones, should sleep close to the mother and have free access to the breast for the first year. Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone depending on many other things besides the ability to go without food for several hours.

Breastmilk should be his main and major source of calories through the first year. If he can sit unassisted in a high chair, has lost the tongue thrust reflex and can use pincer grasp to put food in his own mouth, give him small pieces of whatever you're having only after a full nursing session. No purees, cereal or spoon feeding. Google ".baby-led solids" for more on this.

They are little for such a short time. It makes for a more secure, well-adjusted and independent child to meet their needs while they are babies.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I would highly recommend checking out what baby is eatting...are you nursing before solids everytime?  They go through cycles with sleeping and this sounds like solids messed it up

ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM
Cut back solids. Baby should night nurse until at least a year. If baby needs to be with you, co sleep. I do not believe in CIO, and there is no other way he's going to stay in his bed. Babies are wired to be with mommy.
mdjkl
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:18 PM
No not everytime

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

I would highly recommend checking out what baby is eatting...are you nursing before solids everytime?  They go through cycles with sleeping and this sounds like solids messed it up

mdjkl
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Yea I just don't like Co sleeping I don't sleep well that way because I'm afraid he will get stuck in blankets n pillows n suffocate I also am not comfortable

Quoting ruby_jewel_04: Cut back solids. Baby should night nurse until at least a year. If baby needs to be with you, co sleep. I do not believe in CIO, and there is no other way he's going to stay in his bed. Babies are wired to be with mommy.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Look up safe co-sleeping. It can be done. You can also side-car the crib to your bed.
ruby_jewel_04
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM
Then you need to get a side car sleeper and keep him nearby. I always co slept, and made sure my bed was safe for baby.
Quoting mdjkl: Yea I just don't like Co sleeping I don't sleep well that way because I'm afraid he will get stuck in blankets n pillows n suffocate I also am not comfortable
Quoting ruby_jewel_04: Cut back solids. Baby should night nurse until at least a year. If baby needs to be with you, co sleep. I do not believe in CIO, and there is no other way he's going to stay in his bed. Babies are wired to be with mommy.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)