Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice on Gentle Night Weaning

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM
  • 6 Replies
DD is almost 15 months old. I work full time out of the home and she drinks cows milk or water at daycare. She nurses 2-3 times a day when we're together. Usually in the morning, at nap time, at bedtime, and then every hour through the night.

Until she was a year old we co-slept. After a year I started putting her in her crib and bringing her in to bed when she woke up the first time. At first she would sleep for anywhere from an hour to three hours. Now I'm lucky if I can get her to sleep in her crib at all. She'll lay down but as soon as I walk out of the room she will start screaming. She's exhausted but won't go to sleep until she's with me. And then awake again if I put her down. Unless we're in my bed. Then she'll sleep for an hour or so before she's awake, nurses for a bit and falls back asleep.
I would love to night wean but don't know how. I know she's capable of sleeping for longer stretches but she just won't for me.
Advice please...
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:27 PM
She's making up for missing you during the day. I would put a twin mattress on the floor and lie down with her. Both of mine were still co-sleeping at that age. Take a look at "Changing Patterns in the Family Bed" on DrJayGordon.com.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Is daddy around? Anyone else that can help with nighttime wake ups?

Eternity807
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 8:26 AM

Daddy is around but doesn't have the patience to help.  He thinks the only thing that will work is CIO and I'm not willing to do that.  So instead he just gets pissy because she's in bed with us night after night.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Is daddy around? Anyone else that can help with nighttime wake ups?

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 9:02 AM
We transitioned our son to a kindergarten cot beside our bed.
Eternity807
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I was thinking about trying a toddler bed next to our bed.  Somewhere I can put her to bed but if she needs me she can still climb in to bed with me. 

Quoting MusherMaggie: We transitioned our son to a kindergarten cot beside our bed.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Quoting Eternity807:

I was thinking about trying a toddler bed next to our bed.  Somewhere I can put her to bed but if she needs me she can still climb in to bed with me. 

Quoting MusherMaggie: We transitioned our son to a kindergarten cot beside our bed.

That's a very good idea.

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)