Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bed sharing

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
  • 10 Replies

My three week old will not sleep in her bassinet. I put her in it after feeding to her hearts content and she is passed out cold. She sleeps for 20 minutes before she wakes crying. She doesn't want to eat, she just wants to sleep either on me or next to me. I'm not completely comfortable with her being in my bed. The bigger she gets the more she will move and roll. I'm nervous about my 8 year old crawling into bed with us. I'm afraid of her rolling over on my pillow top mattress and putting her face into it. If she sleeps in my bed she sleeps for 6 hours and is a happy baby all day. If she sleeps with the 20 mins here and there she is a cranky baby all day. She loves nursing laying down next to me so she often falls asleep at the boob then sometimes I fall asleep too. Then I wake 6 hours later rested but scared that I just fell asleep without her being in a safe place. Not sure what to do. For those who do bed sharing, what do you do?

by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 8:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM
If she is in the crook of your arm, she is in a safe place. You will be acutely aware of her even while you sleep. What would probably be safer, though, is side-carring her crib to your bed, or using an "Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper". That way she will have her own place but be where you can touch her easily, nurse her and slide her back. Can you flip the mattress on your bed and not use the pillowtop for a while? You can Google "safe co-sleeping" for more ideas. Wearing her during the day in a wrap or sling will also help.
Precious333
by Group Admin - Julia on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:54 PM
Agreed 100%

I have coslept with multiples. I always know where my baby is and the other child that likes to sneak it always is on the other side. Baby sleeps in the crook of my arm as well. Babywearing has kept baby happy and me functional during the day.

Quoting MusherMaggie: If she is in the crook of your arm, she is in a safe place. You will be acutely aware of her even while you sleep. What would probably be safer, though, is side-carring her crib to your bed, or using an "Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper". That way she will have her own place but be where you can touch her easily, nurse her and slide her back. Can you flip the mattress on your bed and not use the pillowtop for a while? You can Google "safe co-sleeping" for more ideas. Wearing her during the day in a wrap or sling will also help.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:55 PM

I tell you the crook of my arm babies head on my boob or on my arm kept me from rolling and anyone from rolling onto him.  It solved everything!

lauren.m
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM
I bedshare. I have my body around them to where I feel it if they move their hand. It's always been the best way for my family.
Zazayam
by Nicki on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM

I slept with all of mine in the crook of my arm from birth.

Loveiskind08
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:42 PM
My daughter started sleeping in our bed when she was a few weeks old. Our bed us low to the floor. I made sure one side was touching the wall. She slept between me and the wall. The first couple months I didn't have blankets on my side of bed except a thin cotton one. It worked well for us.
yellow14
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 10:03 AM
I co sleep with a 2 year old and 4 month old, baby is always right next to by my boobs, she likes to nurse all night, my 2 year old is on the other side, I wake up to the slightest move she makes, we keep blankets and pillows away from the baby. Babies like being close to their moms!
Ducks4Life
by on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I cuddle her, I hold her while sleeping...  I sometimes sleep with no pillows.  Or put her down and pillow further up.

ladyraven16
by Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:56 PM
I have slept with all my kids, my oldest slept in the middle of my bed, my middle slept with me on my side but only for 2mo. My youngest is 11mo and still sleeping with us. I need to transition him out but he slept from 9-6am last night! I really don't want to ruin that, but alas i must because i am due in Aug 2015 and need the room lol.
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 3:21 PM
I transitioned my son to a kindergarten cot beside our bed when I was pregnant with his sister. It worked out well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)