Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

food to increase supply?

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM
  • 12 Replies
So I'm curious...I've seen online where certain foods like garlic, ginger, oatmeal, etc. help to increase your milk supply, so I'm wondering if anyone on here has personally had any success increasing their supply by eating certain foods?
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:36 PM
Look up galactagogues on Kellymom.com. What is making you think you need to increase supply?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Seaweed as in sushi like cali rolls and ovaltine...those are the only things that did much for my supply

Maddies_Mommy10
by Member on Dec. 28, 2014 at 10:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Oatmeal, oat muffins
apricot410
by on Dec. 28, 2014 at 11:29 PM
Ovaltine, as in the powered chocolate milk mix? That helped increase your supply?

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Seaweed as in sushi like cali rolls and ovaltine...those are the only things that did much for my supply

mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:55 AM
I was eating steel cut oats several times a day and it made no difference. I also know I don't have a supply problem in the first place because my baby is trying to win a diaper wetting contest. I just expected to notice some difference.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:56 AM
Any reason you're worried about your supply?
mamabens
by Miranda on Dec. 29, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Different things work for different people, none worked for me . What makes you think you need to increase supply?

gdiamante
by Gina on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Steel cut oatmeal CAN help where there is a true supply problem or you're away from baby a lot and need to pump. But if you're not away a lot, or are already changing 6-8 dipes per day, they won't really do much of anything supply wise. 

Oatmeal is good for you though. Garlic and ginger are good for you too, though I've never once seen any indication they do a darned thing for supply. The ginger can ease tummyache, and the garlic will keep the neighborhood vampires away!

The single best supply increaser? Baby at the breast on demand, no matter how long or how often. **smile**

If there are any particular concerns you have, we might be able to ease your mind. 99% of the women who come here thinking they have a supply problem actually do not; they have a misinformation problem, often due to the advice of medical professionals!

Careeka22
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
I saw a difference when I hate peach oatmeal mixed with chia seeds. Plain oatmeal didn't do it but the chia seeds did.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Admin -Tabitha on Dec. 29, 2014 at 12:32 PM

YEp the chocolate malt kind, malt drinks evidently are known to help which is why some dark beers help some moms

Quoting apricot410: Ovaltine, as in the powered chocolate milk mix? That helped increase your supply?
Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)