Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gentian violet...

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:12 AM
  • 4 Replies
I have been using nystatin because my daughters thrush was so bad and the poor thing was so uncomfortable. Most of HER thrush is gone but mine isn't and it hurts like hell. How do I use gentian violet? ?
It has a warning on it that says may be harmful if swallowed.
I'm a little confused!
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 12:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:03 AM
Yes, that warning is on there so you don't drink it. It's not the kind of med that is taken orally by a medicine dropper or cup. When I used it, I dipped a qtip in the bottle and swabbed my nipples and then ran the qtip along her gum line and painted her tongue. Most people say it's enough to just paint your nipples and nurse immediately. I can tell you I was afraid I'd miss a spot to paint and I sure did not!!!

I thought I was starting to get thrush with this baby of mine now and I started putting coconut oil on my nipples. Maybe try that between your gv paintings. If you can get a prescription for APNO that'd be ideal. When I used the gv my nipples had felt like they'd been blowtorched and the gv fixed us up in 3 days.
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:05 AM
A word of advice, slather the baby's face with coconut oil or aquaphor to minimize the purple staining. It's inevitable but the oil will help. Also, don't plan on putting baby in nice outfits and wear your crummiest bra.
eggopreggo
by Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 7:56 PM
Okay thanks! Do I need to wash it off before I feed her?

Quoting mostlymaydays: A word of advice, slather the baby's face with coconut oil or aquaphor to minimize the purple staining. It's inevitable but the oil will help. Also, don't plan on putting baby in nice outfits and wear your crummiest bra.
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 1, 2015 at 11:53 AM

No, you don't wash it off before feeding.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)