Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

nipples plus teeth equals ow!!

Posted by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:30 AM
  • 5 Replies
5.5 months old, almost 6 months. I can see her first tooth coming in :( my last baby, isn't such a baby anymore .. Once those teeth really come in, how bad is it going to be? How do I teach her not to bite?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Smokeygirl
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 1:41 AM
I was bit only twice in 17 months. I yelped and put him down for 2 minutes after saying "no bite". If you get a biter you have to try not to react and keep a watch for moving into the non nutritive suckling. When they stop eating and start playing that's when the bites happen.

Not every baby bites and it often isn't a problem.
Kitsun
by Bronze Member on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:16 AM
1 mom liked this
Thank you :) she was studying my nipple earlier today, like a teen boy seeing his first real life boob lol

Quoting Smokeygirl: I was bit only twice in 17 months. I yelped and put him down for 2 minutes after saying "no bite". If you get a biter you have to try not to react and keep a watch for moving into the non nutritive suckling. When they stop eating and start playing that's when the bites happen.

Not every baby bites and it often isn't a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Admin - Stacy on Dec. 31, 2014 at 2:34 AM
My youngest here is 4 months with her bottom 2 teeth. The only time I've been nipped so far is when she fell asleep and clamped down. I'm having a hard time getting around that because we are cosleeping and I *had* fallen asleep, too. My other 4 babies were 6 or 7 months by the time they got teeth. When they stop sucking you have to remove them before they get the chance to think of a test bite. If she does bite, tell her "no bite" and put her down and walk away for a bit. Definitely don't let her get any solids. She needs to learn that a bite has consequences she can't live with, namely no food!
aehanrahan
by Group Admin - Amy on Dec. 31, 2014 at 4:00 AM
She can't bite while actively nursing. Try to anticipate a bite by watching for signs that she's done, playing, or bored and take her off before she gets the chance. If you miss the signs and she does bite, take her off worth NO reaction and put her somewhere safe for a while before trying again. She will learn that biting=no nursing.
polkaspots
by on Dec. 31, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Every time I got bitten I ended the nursing session and baby had to wait a while. They bit a few times, but after that the only issue was D's biting in his sleep. He always used to fall asleep on the bus and sudden noises would cause him to bite down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)