Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to wean

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM
  • 21 Replies
So my daughter is nine months and i woulf like to start weaning her at a year, right now she uses me as a pacifier which i get but ive never nursed this long before and need some tips, id like my bed back my boobs back, and id like to snuggle with the hubby. I turned her bed into a cosleeping one but she only sleeps alone for maybe a half hour if that she likes to snuggle sooo any tips on weaning would be great, she wont take bottles and thinks pacifiers are toys, she plays with her cups she would rather drink from a real cup, i dont plan on just cutting her off at one but would like to start the process, she doesnt even take bottles from her grandma if im gone at an apt it would be nice to get a break soon thanks for any input you guys have!
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:39 PM
After a year old you can start implementing a no nursing before food rule to encourage her to eat instead of nursing. Its what I've done with my youngest. As for night time I'd suggest putting her in a big be where you can sit next to her and nurse her to sleep and walk away afterwards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:54 PM
2 moms liked this
Easiest way is baby-led. Her nursing behavior will lessen gradually as she becomes more established on solids after her first birthday. After that first birthday, you no longer have to nurse before solids, and you can set limits. Be aware that babies rarely completely self-wean before 18-24 months, and that extended breastfeeding carries extended benefits. You don't want to start bottles or pacifiers at this age. After a year, take a look at "Changing Patterns in the Family Bed" on DrJayGordon.com.
skuzzie
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:48 PM
Ya i try nursing her in her bed and roll away but she still only sleeps on her own a half hour or so and our current living situation she has to be in our room, i will definetly do the giving her food first thing tho after she turns one thank u :)

Quoting polkaspots: After a year old you can start implementing a no nursing before food rule to encourage her to eat instead of nursing. Its what I've done with my youngest. As for night time I'd suggest putting her in a big be where you can sit next to her and nurse her to sleep and walk away afterwards.
skuzzie
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:51 PM
I just meant she plays with them and the only time bottles are offered are if im gone for a few hrs she doesnt like them i feel bad for mil who watches her when i need a sitter lol i hope she weans herself easily

Quoting MusherMaggie: Easiest way is baby-led. Her nursing behavior will lessen gradually as she becomes more established on solids after her first birthday. After that first birthday, you no longer have to nurse before solids, and you can set limits. Be aware that babies rarely completely self-wean before 18-24 months, and that extended breastfeeding carries extended benefits. You don't want to start bottles or pacifiers at this age. After a year, take a look at "Changing Patterns in the Family Bed" on DrJayGordon.com.
polkaspots
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:53 PM
My little one sleeps in my room as well, in a toddler bed. He has slept in it at bedtime since about two months old. In time we will start sleeping longer stretches by herself if she's consistently sleeping by herself. My youngest is an excellent s!deeper but my middle child was coming into bed with me for the second half of the night until 18 months old.

Quoting skuzzie: Ya i try nursing her in her bed and roll away but she still only sleeps on her own a half hour or so and our current living situation she has to be in our room, i will definetly do the giving her food first thing tho after she turns one thank u :)

Quoting polkaspots: After a year old you can start implementing a no nursing before food rule to encourage her to eat instead of nursing. Its what I've done with my youngest. As for night time I'd suggest putting her in a big be where you can sit next to her and nurse her to sleep and walk away afterwards.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Gina on Jan. 7, 2015 at 2:19 AM

If she takes a real cup, you're ahead of the game. Let her use that and dump the bottles. 

Sorry, but I always chuckle at wanting anything "back"... motherhood seems to be a long-term lease! My son used me as a pillow for a LONG time, and now my dog has co-opted me as a canine chaise lounge! :-)  At least she's a little dog!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
A little secret from s mother of three:you never get your body back to yourself truly.
skuzzie
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:13 PM
Shes my fourth, but i wasnt able to nurse the others so this part is new to me my others always slept in there bed fine, itd just be nice to have my bed back lol and to know how to wean when the time comes

Quoting Mom2Just1: A little secret from s mother of three:you never get your body back to yourself truly.
skuzzie
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:18 PM
The only time shes ever offered a bottle is if im gone, and yes a real cup is good, she just has to nurse to sleep and wakes up at least twice at night to nurse but if i slide,her to her bed she wakes up either right away or by thirty minutes wanting to nurse and go back to sleep with me, figured id get as much advice as i can so when the time comes i can start lol

Quoting gdiamante:

If she takes a real cup, you're ahead of the game. Let her use that and dump the bottles. 

Sorry, but I always chuckle at wanting anything "back"... motherhood seems to be a long-term lease! My son used me as a pillow for a LONG time, and now my dog has co-opted me as a canine chaise lounge! :-)  At least she's a little dog!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:27 PM
I've nursed all three of mine. They all slept by themselves when they were ready. They all nursed until they didn't want to nurse. My husband and I just figure they're only little once. Enjoy the moments. We have an 8 year old that rarely crawls into bed with us and hasn't for a long time.

Quoting skuzzie: Shes my fourth, but i wasnt able to nurse the others so this part is new to me my others always slept in there bed fine, itd just be nice to have my bed back lol and to know how to wean when the time comes

Quoting Mom2Just1: A little secret from s mother of three:you never get your body back to yourself truly.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)